Mobil 1 FTW

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 1980RS, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

you just described what pretty much any engine does, and you installed a catch can.

1980RS likes this.
  2. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Yup, when I changed the oil I got a spray paint cap full of oil goo when I drained it

3. flht99b

flht99b Veteran Member Gold Member

Yup, have had an Elite engineering catch can on my 2010 Camaro since it was new. The direct injection cars of today really need this to help eliminate as much of the soft carbon build up on the intake ports and valves. Just had to clean all the intake ports and valves on my son's Solstice GXP turbo at only 50k miles. Was getting random miss fires due to the carbon build up.

4. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

FWIW, we put 275K miles on one (mine) 1994 Honda Accord. 310K miles on another (wife's) 1994 Honda Accord, and 230K miles on a '07 Mazda 6. All were running like a top when we sold them. My DD '02 Silverado has 195K on the clock. None of them has/had ever had synthetic oil. Always used whatever conventional oil was the cheapest....usually Super Tech from Wally World.

At 140Kish miles, I had to change the heads on my truck. The cylinder walls barely showed any wear. You could still see the honing hatch marks. Lifer valley was clean as a pen.

5. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

EVERYTHING I drive (other than leases...don't care) has Mobil1 in the engines

my old daily driver 86 305 Monte Carlo smoked a puff on startup from leaky valve guides using conventional oil...I switched to Mobil1 in the Monte & it became a SMOKE SCREEN at startup...didn't matter as the motor was MUCH quieter

6. dadgonebroke

dadgonebroke Veteran Member

When I get a NEW vehicle- I change to Mobil 1 and have no issue -but every other vehicle including four motorcycles that I converted to synthetic starting leaking and my motorcycles all started having clutch issues too. Expensive lessons learned!

7. La.Z8

La.Z8 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

When I was a full time firefighter I worked for company part-time that had a contract with La-Dotd. My job was to patrol the Interstates and assist with wrecks, EMS, some mechanical needs, etc. in the area. We had 3 vehicles up running every day of the year, 365, and 14 hrs a day, with two 7 hr shifts. The vehicles ran all day and we had 1 spare to cover break downs etc. I helped to oversee the maintenance of the vehicles. I ran them with Mobil 1 and Wix filters changed every month, roughly around 10,000 miles and not counting idling time. We were using Ford F-350 vans with 5.4`s. I had pics of the odometers of the vans, lost them a few years ago. We were able to get over 500,000 miles, again not counting the idle hrs, on 3 of them. We ran them that long because they were state contract vehicles and couldn`t be replaced unless rendered useless. Wish I still had the pics.

8. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Here is what an old retired tech told me about Mobil 1 decades ago, "Mobil 1 is good for lubricating your exhaust inside the pipes and that's about it". Had to laugh at him though as he used to take all the extra qts. home with him every week. Must have run it in his lawn mower LOL.

9. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I agree, Mobil 1 is nothing special. I personally run HPS Royal Purple in mine and no issues. My LS doesn’t smoke or consume oil. But it is a hand built LS7...

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020