Motor sits to the passenger side?

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by sponge003, Jul 18, 2010.

1. sponge003

sponge003 Veteran Member Gold Member

Started looking at putting the motor plates in and went with a S and W fitted plate for 2nd gens.

Started to trial fit the mid plate and it wouldnt go in, looked like I needed to trim the right side 1/2 to 3/4 inch because it was hitting sub frame.

Over the day I have been rethinking this in my head and then remembered.....Headers are very close to sub frame on right side of vehicle, had issues fitting exhaust.......Hmmmmmmm

Grabbed a tape measure and from what I can tell it looks like with my motor installed in the stock motor mounts it sits to the right 1/2 to 3/4 inch or more!!

Any chance this is normal??? Or am I just plain lucky!!!

I was trying to leave the engine and tranny in stock locations and put in the motor plates, then remove motor mounts.

Let me know what you think, I will be taking many chassis measurements over this week to determine centerline of car etc.

Thanks

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yes... It's normal.
    The stock position is exactly as you describe.... 1/2"-3/4" to the passenger side.

3. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

When I did the old auto to manual swap I found that the engine and trans. sat 3/8" off center to the pass. side when the trans. mount was installed. All 3 cars I had at that time were actually the same.

4. Smokin70SS

Smokin70SS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yep, normal. The whole drivetrain is actually moved closer to the passenger side. I forgot why GM did this, but you will notice the passenger side rear tire is closer to the lip of the rear fender than the drivers side tire

5. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Isn't this the case in any rear wheel drive car just because the pinion is offset in the differential?

6. Smokin70SS

Smokin70SS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Not all rear wheel drive cars have the motor and trans offset as much as the rear pinion. I know some rear wheel drive cars have the motor and trans more centered and you have an offset from the tail shaft and pinion. 1 to 2* off isn't really supposed to matter.

What I was getting at though is that some engine and trans offsets were made to make clearance for another component in the car. I forgot why they did this in the Camaro

7. Randy 81

Randy 81 Veteran Member

I always heard that the offset was to allow more room for the steering shaft, usually more of an issue with Big Blocks (like 1st gen F-bodies).
    If you want to see a good bit of offset, check out 87-04 Dakotas (like mine), the engine is at least 4" offset to the passengers side, even the floorboards are noticeably different.

8. AJ_72

AJ_72 Veteran Member

WAG, to offset the weight of the driver?

I would imagine, back then, the average weight of a man (who did 90% of the driving back then) was ~160 lbs. That plus the weight of the battery could help offset that 160 lbs?

Could be a number of reasons though. One, as Randy mentioned, is the steering arm? Or heck, the whole steering box. That thing is monstrously heavy for its size.

Could be to help add a little more weight over the drive wheel (the right rear is the barer of the "one tire fire", the "one wheel peel", etc.)?

Could be to give that little extra room on the floor board on the driver's side, for the pedals?

I vaguely remember reading it did have something to do with offsetting the drive shaft to reduce the onset harmonics of a perfectly straight drive shaft, "longitudinally" speaking.

9. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I know one thing for sure, with stock spring rates and playing around with lowering my car way back when I first knew this I made absolutly sure that my driver's side was 3/8" higher so when I sat in it well..... you know.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010