mscamp02's Project Restart 81Z

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by mscamp02, Dec 30, 2013.

1. mscamp02

mscamp02 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

A little bit of background. I bought this car back in 2009 but I didnt really begin to work on it until somewhere in late 2010 early 2011. Since starting work on the car I have replaced the floor pans, rocker panels, rear quarter (lower patches now the entire quarter), tail panel. Broke down the front sub frame and replaced all the bushings and put everything back together and placed it back underneath the car after lining the bottom with por 15 and raptor liner.

Right now I have a huge mess of parts waiting to install from what I have purchased over the last year while I was deployed.

Anyways below are some pics of the car when I got it and how it is sitting now.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

A little more current:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And for some pics of the new parts, not all but some. I have new fuel/brake lines, essentially an entire new interior (from what is not already there), reconditioned tail lights, all new weatherstripping and everything below

New plugs/plug wires, grille and fuel door emblems, parking brake assembly (not sure where the new lines are in the garage but they are there somewhere), new pedals and some new bolts for the U Joint.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Battery Mount
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Rage Gold Body Filler, POR 15, Stainless Steel Radiator Lines, new long neck water pump, and some paint from summit (going to be a metallic gray/gunmetal)
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

UPOL Raptor Liner for the Trunk.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

ADDCO Front and Rear Sway Bars (Wish I would have ordered a new front one before reconditioning the old one and putting it back on). You can also see the last section of my pypes exhaust that I need to hang.

Also going to start trying to use the tire dolleys to pull the new toy into the garage when Im not working on the Camaro (will show pics later at the bottom)
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

New Polyurethane Z28 Ground Flare Kit. I have part but not all of the originals so why not get a complete set to match?
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

New K&N air cleaner system, this will replace the filter and housing.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Now this is a more custom touch. It is a fiberglass rear tray package to give it a more modern look and a better way to hide away the rear speakers. Need to dye it black still. Pretty pricey for just a rear tray package at 150 but it will be a nice custom touch.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Gentex rear view mirror with compass and temperature.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

New Grant Steering Wheel
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Reconditioned sunvisors.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Complete set of duct work, not exactly sure what I need out of this but got it on eBay for a 10 dollar bid with 5 dollars shipping this worked out pretty well.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Reconditioned Hood Latch. Mine was terribly bent and scarred with rust so this was the better option. another cheap eBay find.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Custom ABS Molded Door Panels, I have a set of black vinyl/leather inserts for the part that is showing opened up right now. This pair set me back about 480 just for some door panels.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

New Fender, not sure if this will be the option I go with yet or not, I have the original and a patch for it and may go in that direction for fitment but because of the 1/2 drop solid body bushing I put on the car the front end needs a ton of work for lining up the sheet metal.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

This is one of the favorite things that I purchased, a MCI Stiletto center console. This little thing is incredibly expensive at nearly 500 dollars but I think the craftsmanship that went it to it is absolutely worth it. Amazing quality!
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

I forgot to take pictures of some of the other parts like my new complete Sony stereo system, the T Top Headliner or 8 pcs T TOP Trim kit but you guys get the idea that I will be busy for quite some time.

If you havent noticed yet I'm trying to go with a more modern interior, I've replaced the dash with an excellent original one but I havent touched the bezel or gauges, I'm leaning to a VHX set for an easy modern look with a new ABS bezel. Also I have a set of Procar Seats but I am not sure if I will keep them or not in the long run but for now they work out nicely.

Later tonight after I clean up the garage a little bit more I will get some better pictures of the car itself and try to keep this updated as I go.

Thanks for looking.

2. bad81z

bad81z Member

looks like you have a great project there.
    where did you order your parts like the custom door panels and the console? I cant find anywhere that will make them and mine are shot lol
    I plan to start working on mine again when I get to my next duty station in about 2 months, so im starting to get stuff lol

3. mscamp02

I ordered the door panels and rear tray pakage off of camarocentral.com based out of KY. The console Mike from MCI made for me, check out this thread for pics in a 2nd gen

4. mscamp02

Okay so I didnt work on the car much at all but more so just cleaned up the garage a bit to make it a little easier to work in but I did get to play around with the exhaust for a bit and have it 90% there. Just need to put on the two last sections and tighten everything down.

It's amazing how much dust has settled inside the car. The rear seats in the pic I re upholstered right before I left and look terrible now. Guess I'm going to have to do some serious cleaning, the carpet and front seats look rough too.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

And heres a pic of my other second gen, just need to get it started but its so hard to do anything because its out in my driveway in December. (This is an older pic but here it still sits)
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

5. CamaroSWE

CamaroSWE New Member

great pics!! i like both cars

6. mickstan

mickstan Veteran Member

The Formula is sweet! I love those hoods.

7. mscamp02

Thanks guys, actually got to drive the firebird for the first time today. Had a little trouble after it sat for six months but once I got her going it was great

8. Panther

Panther Veteran Member

Nice project, going to look great. I like the Formula I was looking for one like it when I bought my 72 Camaro.

Ed

9. mgoad1971

mgoad1971 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Formula 400?? nice!!

I'm dying to know how the shifter looks in that custom center console. I am going to order the same options you have.

10. mscamp02

Honestly I'm open to ideas because right now I have a new b&m megashifter and I'm not sure how I'm going to make the shifter plate for it yet