Mufflers to loud

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by haroldpo6, Jul 6, 2016.

1. haroldpo6

haroldpo6 Veteran Member

70 355 w/x-pipe 2 1/2in Pypes system w/ there race pro mufflers. After reading reviews on there mufflers everyone said that the race pros was the quitest. If it is, you would be arrested with the others. The drone is so bad at cruse 55-65mph that you have to scream at the person beside you and a sound system is useless.
    My question is, what is a good sounding muffler at idle and crusing?

It's quiter with the windows open vs closed w/ac on.

2. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

That's kinda odd.. I had race pro's on my 78 355, no x-pipe, and dumped in front of the rear axle. It was TOO quiet, and no drone. If it's too loud you might want to go with a stock replacement tranverse muffler

3. haroldpo6

haroldpo6 Veteran Member

Need to use exhaust pipes I have, just replace 2 1/2in offset mufflers. Exhaust goes all the way out back.
    I use it for crusing not racing.

4. DB Z28

DB Z28 Veteran Member

Do you have a X pipe? The x pipe on mine helped with a lot of Drone noise at Hi way speeds.

5. 70 SS 350

70 SS 350 Member Lifetime Gold Member

I went with Borla CrateMufflerâ„¢ SBC HOT 350, 383 part # 400818
    Its a new line
    Nice idle nice cruising, but when you get on it it comes alive and sounds great.
    THEY ARE EXPENSIVE THOUGH!!!!!:(

6. Robbie1

Robbie1 Member

I love the sound of stainless magna flows had them on my truck they sounded great

7. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

I have the same system in stainless with Spin tech sportsman 3000 3 inch thick mufflers, had them make them with 7 baffles. Nice sounding at cruising speed and idle and really comes alive when you open the throttle. No drone.

8. falloutboy

falloutboy Veteran Member

I hope this is a manufacturing mistake. I have the same Pypes Setup, and hoped that is on the quiet side, as most videos of the X pipes and race pros suggested.

If I were you I'd contact Pypes and get a recording of the sound and loudness levels.
    Thank to smart phones measuring dBs or phon isn't that hard anymore. Just make sure to measure at the same spot and on the same underground as Pypes did its tests on.
    Only like this you can compare the results and see if the system / mufflers are defective. So call pypes and let them ship u a new set of mufflers, this time the actual quiet ones.

9. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

odd, I just put the pypes 2.5" dual exhaust with race pros on my 383 and it is not loud at all. In fact, not loud enough to be honest.

10. slayer74

slayer74 Veteran Member

I have the exact same set up on my 76 and felt the same way after hearing them for the first time-I would check for leaks,or bring it back to the shop that did the install(if a shop did it)but that don't sound right-no pun intended