Multiprocess Welder (TIG/stick or MIG/stick)

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by gordonquixote, Mar 29, 2021.

1. gordonquixote

gordonquixote Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hey everybody. I got a 200A multi-process TIG/stick welder to mess around with.

General screwing around and maybe fabbing small projects for fun at the shop.

I got the TIG/stick welder as I would only be doing small projects and likely working on a table top or trailer, etc. The TIG welds look amazing and stick is fairly easy (and can run over metal that isn't perfecty clean).

MIG seems kinda 'point and click' and I have done some MIG before in a boat fab shop back I the day. Also a faster process but again, I'm not running production here.

Before I use the TIG and can still return it...what is your opinion on process preference (MIG or TIG)...and do you ever stick weld if the former options are available?

I would like to practice and get good cosmetic welds...the proverbial stacked dimes <cringe>.

2. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

all my buddies & I have the same setups

Lincoln 225 amp stick welder for anything thicker than 1/4

140-180amp MIG welders running flux core for general maintenance (most commonly welding fenders back onto our trailers)

and buddies that are certified TIG welders with small shops if anything needs to be pretty or to do our aluminum welding

3. biker

biker Veteran Member

Same here. Red Lincoln tombstone ac/DC stick welder for heavy stuff. 180 Hobart mig for everything else. Never did tig, but I want to. Will buy a tig when I figure out the best one for my light use.

351maverick likes this.
  4. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

i have mostly TIG welded but also most of my welding has been more like repairing a divet in the ball of your ball point pin.(injection mold repair and die repair) I have done very little Heavy welding. The one thing about TIG is you CAN do anything thick or thin, steel or cast or alum....with the proper prep. (and enough amps ;))

carhead22000 likes this.
  5. biker

biker Veteran Member

Any thoughts on brand/size/model of tig to buy for non-industfial use?

6. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Like posted above, I have a Lincoln 225 amp arc welder that I have had for decades. I recently purchased a Hobart 140 amp MiG for smaller work and am very impressed with it. I was tired of burning holes in smaller stuff trying to weld it with the arc welder.

7. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I have a 3 in 1 setup DC tig, plasma cutter and stick welder. I have not used the tig part yet but that sucker can cut through 1" steel if you go slow and stick welds way way better than my old Lincoln welder did. It's a Cutmaster 50 3 in one, got it off Amazon.

8. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I cant imagine not having a mig welder in my shop. My little millermatic 175 has served me very well for about 15 years now. I also have a hobart tigmate tig/stick ac/dc welder that I inherited a few years back that I keep meaning to get setup for tig as I want to learn for sheet metal work but it hasnt hit the top of the priority list yet. But to answer the question 90% of what I weld i use a mig just because it is fast and easy.

With that said I have been really thinking about selling off all of the above and buying a miller multimatic 220

9. danbrennan

danbrennan Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've had a MIG welder since the '80s, have gotten a lot of use out of it. I bought a nice Miller TIG about 10 years ago, but was disappointed with how well I could weld with it at odd angles under a car, with less than perfectly clean metal. I'm sure I could benefit from more practice, but currently my thinking is the TIG is good for table top welding on nice, new steel; the MIG works better for me trying to weld patch panels into my old rusty cars. The TIG has better heat control and penetration. I did stick welding back in college, but have not done it since. I recall not being very good with it, but I know some friends that have done really nice work with stick welding. Again probably something I would need to practice more with, although I don't think stick welding would work very well on auto body gauge sheet metal, which is what I mostly do.

I bought a spot welder a couple of years ago; I love it for building brackets and boxes. Wish I had bought one years ago. I'll probably try it on some spot panel repair soon, with structural adhesive like LORD Fusor.

10. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

1980RS likes this.