Muncie swap to modern 5 or 6 speed

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Cooldawg, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Cooldawg

Cooldawg Veteran Member

I hear you on that. There's no way they would do a refund if it doesn't work out, and the car is rare and documentation good enough that I cannot bring myself to cut on it; I have a feeling the lesson I'm about to learn is expensive enough as it is.

The Legend tranny would work great, but they aren't making enough of them.

I've went back-n-forth on this car so may times it's not funny, but at this point, I think I'm going to auction the car next fall and either buy something new or find an undocumented car I can play with a little bit more.

2. mickstan

mickstan Veteran Member

If its super-uber-rare, and all original I wouldn't do it. However, I have seen many corvettes over the years with this upgrade, and it never hurts the resale unless of course its a rare one. Usually the buyer will be happy that its got a new transmission that looks period correct and has a fifth gear. As long as it looks correct, who cares if the hole in the tunnel is altered a little bit, its all hidden by the boot anyway. The '69 in my garage looks totally period correct in the interior, you would never know it has a 5 speed until you see the shifter ball with the pattern on it. If your car has the console, all the better! And if you don't do it, the next guy probably will if he wants to drive it. It totally changes the car. There is no comparison to a muncie.

3. mickstan

mickstan Veteran Member

And the Tremec TKO is not going anywhere, they are used in all kinds of vehicles, parts will always be available unlike these other one-off styles.

4. Cooldawg

Cooldawg Veteran Member

She's not THAT rare, but she is a Z28/RS M22 in Tuxedo with a Sandalwood interior. Heading down south after Christmas to try to get my hands on the numbers matching LT1. If I succeed, I'll sell the car with the motor.

If I don't- and I expect I won't since the guy who has it was the 2nd owner that originally seperated the two- you might've talked me into doing the TKO six with a kit from HDL...

5. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member

What about the Legends 5 speed, are the still making them? I thought there was no tunnel mods needed with those.

6. Cooldawg

Cooldawg Veteran Member

That would be great, but they aren't making enough of them. If I recall correctly from the last time I spoke with Jody, he said 6 months out at least. Pros:

1) No cutting
    2) Tougher/ higher torque rating
    3) Better 1st gear for 3:73 than TKO 6 (2.66 vs. 2.87)

Cons:

1) Long backorder as mentioned above
    2) Roughly $1,500 more
    3) Would need to custom fab x member

7. rockheadrocks

rockheadrocks Veteran Member

8. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Every OD trans will need #3

9. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

I know this thread has taken a life of it's own but let me give you some food for thought. Assuming you have a typical Muncie setup which is:

Bellhousing
    Clutch 26 spline
    Pressure plate
    Z-Bar Linkage
    Muncie
    Cross Member
    Driveshaft

Then if you go with a TKO 500/600, Tremec 3550, LGT 500, McLeod or Richmond SuperSport OD you should be good to close as an easy install, all will require is your driveshaft to be shorten and your cross member might need adjustment basically all of the underlined stuff.

This is a under then 1 day change out if you buy the driveshaft before hand.

The TKO 500/600 and the Tremec by far are your best bang for your buck you can find them new and used and you can reuse all your stuff. The others I will call exotics meaning they are rare and might require some additional massaging but the worst of it is any repairs will be costly because the parts are NOT as readily available as the TKO/Tremec. Documentation for installs are also limited. Remember you body bushings need to be new or in good shape otherwise you will have tunnel issues.

T56 and T5 are other choices but they will not bolt up to your bellhousing so you need to replace it and the tunnel will need messaging for some T56's; however, they are available everywhere and in junk yards just remember to pick one that has the high torque rating.

10. Cooldawg

Cooldawg Veteran Member

That T56 with the 2.66 1st would rock, but it has a much larger profile than TKO600. I would assume more cutting....?

They all require aftermarket x members, but to my knowledge, the Legend would require fabrications to stock or aftermarket- they don't have a x member to kit for 2nd gens like Tremec does via HDL.

I appreciate all the inputs. If I can't get my hands on the matching LT1 and decide to keep the car, it will be getting a TKO600 or T56 from Hurst Drivelines.