Muncie swap to modern 5 or 6 speed

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Cooldawg, Sep 30, 2016.

1. LADDTWZ

LADDTWZ Veteran Member

So, does this mean your parting with the Muncie? :)

2. Cooldawg

Cooldawg Veteran Member

Hey LADDTWZ, good to hear from you! Hope all is well at home and your SBC rebuild went well.

Yep, If I can't get my hands on the matching motor and I decide to keep the car, In all likelyhood I'll be selling the tranny. I'll have all the info I need to make a decision shortly after the holiday break.

If I sell it, I can pm you if you want. It has a brand new gear set/ rebuild so it should be good. Have all the paperwork of course.

3. Cooldawg

Cooldawg Veteran Member

Correction: OR I decide to keep the car. If I get the motor, I'll sell it with the car. If not, I'll be buying a 5 or six speed transmission.

4. LADDTWZ

LADDTWZ Veteran Member

let me know. SBC back up and running, Ken had it together and in the car in a weekend.

Thx

5. mickstan

mickstan Veteran Member

There is a muncie, a 621 bellhousing, clutch, pressureplate, and a '69 crossmember sitting on my garage floor right now. The linkage on the transmission is jacked up, otherwise, as far as I know, its fine. Pretty sure my buddy will sell it. Let me know if you are interested.

6. Scaleytail

Scaleytail Veteran Member

Which TKO did you go with the 3.08 '78? Looking to replace a Saginaw with the TKO for my 79 with a 3.08 gear and trying to decide between 3.31 or 2.87 first gear. Also any thoughts to going with a lighter flywheel -weekend driving -some spirited driving around town and occasionally highway travels.
    Thanks for any input.

7. czizza

czizza Veteran Member

With your 3.08 you can go with the TKO-500. As for the lighter flywheel ... you should not do this because you need the flywheel momentum to store the energy for your heavy car to move.

Lighter flywheels are used with low weight cars or high revving engines 7-8K. This is from what I have read and what I know ... I went TKO with a steel billet flywheel and a skater shield for drag racing.

8. mickstan

mickstan Veteran Member

Yes, I went with the TKO 500, stock flywheel.

czizza likes this.
  9. Scaleytail

Scaleytail Veteran Member

Hi.....got another question for you. I see the 3.08 with the tko500 will work well in 1st gear. Now I am concerned with the OD of.64 being usable with the 3.08. Have 27 inch tall tires and a mild 350 that nicely lobes at 950 rpm and the engines pulls to about 5800. I don't know the cam specs, having bought this used. Was wondering how useful/usable your OD works in your 78...Thanks

10. Cooldawg

Cooldawg Veteran Member

Anyone done a Hurst Driveline T56 conversion in a 2nd gen 4-speed console car? Wondering if there was any cutting and whether the shifter position was correct for the stock boot.