My 1971 LS Swapped Pro-Touring Project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 1971CamaroGuy, May 15, 2012.

1. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Count me in on that looking forward to seeing it in paint!

2. camaro6662

camaro6662 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

waiting on the paints here also

3. 70Chev

70Chev Veteran Member

Doing mine the same colour scheme so I can't wait to see this either.

4. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

Thanks guys, I can't wait either. I actually couldn't go right to sleep last night because I was thinking about the car....pretty sad isn't it lol

5. steveWFL

steveWFL Veteran Member

awesome thread, thanks for sharing the build

6. moner

moner Veteran Member

dang... trully inspiring to me. gives me hope for my own own Camaro- who coincidently just turned 45 on Jan 15th, and man does he look his age. :crazy:

7. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

sounds pretty reasonable to me

8. 1971CamaroGuy

Well......it's been over a month later and still nothing

I got the new hood about three weeks ago and delivered it.

Then about two weeks ago I stopped in to remove the 73 front bumper brackets because I am swapping out to the correct 70-72 style.

When I pulled in, they were standing around but the "owner" looked like he got a phone call and went the other building with I thought was strange. The other guys started wiping the counter. I never asked about my car, nothing had been done to it and my new hood was laying against it on it's side.

It looked like they were prepping a early 2000's truck for paint. The guy volunteered that they were cleaning up around the shop today.

I got the brackets and left.

I asked my wife to stop by there on her way home yesterday to see if there is any progress since it's been about two weeks. She also had the intention of offering a down payment to "speed up the process" since we haven't actually paid any money yet nor have they asked.

When wife pulled in the three guys were standing around talking, as soon as they seen her get out of the car they scattered, two went to a car they were working on and the other grabbed a inline sander to the truck they had been working on. Like clockwork...she said it was weird. But it's kind of the same way they did me when I stopped in.

Wife got the owners attention, and told him she was stopping in to check on the progress of the car. He said they worked on it a little last week but had two more projects to finish and they will start on this at the end of next week. He said they have been busy but he promised they will start on it hot and heavy then.

She asked him did we need to go ahead and pay a down payment to get this ball rolling? She that we knew that it takes money to do these things, and the car sitting in their way is costing money. But if that's what it's going to take to get moving on this we will be glad to pay something.

He said no that's ok , he apologized for the delay but assured her that this car was next after these other two are finished.

Thing is they aren't rude or anything, we just wished they would get started on this since the car has been there since October 16-17 of last year and nothing really has been done to it.

And if two - three guys jump on this they can have it finished and painted in less than two weeks.

I don't know....I'm going to stop in on the wed of feb 24th to check progress ..so we'll see

9. 1971CamaroGuy

I know it's easy to say "that's not right pull it and take it to another shop" but there are a lot of factors why I am going to leave it and try to get them to finish it

1. It was a pain to find someone to flat bed it over there...it took me a week and cost me $85 just getting a place in town to tow it over. I can't image going out of town.

2. It's local to me, they are right down the road. Next shop would have to be a place out of town.

3. I will have to locate and find a place to paint and it and most won't quote it out unless they can see it, but I have to have it towed there and that's a catch 22.

4. They gave me a decent price, who's to say the next shop might want $1,000 - 3,000 more?

5. And what happens if I try another shop and they take another six months themselves? At least this car is already in a shop.

It's a gamble.....but I guess that's why it's called paint jail because they have you

10. 1971CamaroGuy

some little things

Rebuilt my center AC vent with new vents and some sem landau black

2014-12-30153057_zps89156dcc.jpg 2014-12-31164410_zpsacf54c5a.jpg 2014-12-31165127_zpscfdda685.jpg

Painted ashtray and metal tab

2014-12-31170253_zps538684cd.jpg

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018