My 1971 LS Swapped Pro-Touring Project

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 1971CamaroGuy, May 15, 2012.

1. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

They do look good in there.

2. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it

3. 1971CamaroGuy

Trying to find a new steering wheel now, I like the 71-72 style wheel but I need something a little more comfortable to grip. Plus this will is about 15" dia and almost touching my lap..I could stand to go a little smaller.

I wanted something that looked like it could have came with the car new but there isn't very many options out there.

I was looking at momo wheels, but figured out you need a combination of a grant to GM adapter and momo to grant...basically two adapters to make it all work. And there's wheels are expensive enough.

Soooo

I was looking a two Grant wheels, My favorite is the 452 club sport. It looks like a knock off of the momo wheel I was looking at.

1006or_02_+grant_steering_wheel_upgrade_install+grant_steering_wheels.jpg

But the most important thing is the chrome rings built into the wheel, they look similar to the rings on my shifter handle

ISS-6F.jpg

I know it's weird, but these are the little details I look at when trying to match to my interior.

My only issue is that the wheel is 13.5" and I scared that might feel a little too small, seems like a 14" wheel would be a better fit

Keizer has one on his car

P8220598.jpg

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  4. 1971CamaroGuy

I went ahead and ordered that wheel lol, couldn't wait. What I ended up doing was getting the one peice black billet grant installation kit versus the cheaper steel multi kits kits they sell.

I'm gonna take cue from a lot of GM vehicles and trans am, my plan is to paint the horn button black or cover in smooth black vinyl. And add a grant "camaro" script in the center. Usually these wheels were vinyl or leather rim, silver or black spokes and the horn button is the same color as the rim material.

My goal is to make the steering wheel look less aftermarket and more of something that could have came in my car or at least follow the theme I have.

5. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Very nice on the seats and wheel.

I am leaning toward a Grant wheel myself and I would love it if I could somehow add a "Type LT" emblem to the Grant horn button. I am trying to have as few brand logos on my car as possible, except for the Camaro logos.

6. J. Chris Davis

J. Chris Davis Veteran Member

I thought I had seen that at some point. I have one that says Camaro in the horn button. Maybe check Grants site or check with Classic Industries. They get some of those specialty items and they have a downloadable catalog.

7. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

interesting, I will take a look.

8. J. Chris Davis

J. Chris Davis Veteran Member

I did a little looking and didn't see anything. You can get the original horn button emblem. Maybe it could be placed in a blank grant horn button?

9. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

10. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I like that wheel and with the little metal accents that match that on the horseshoe shifter. I'm going to steal that idea for mine!