My 1978 Type

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Gasoholic, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Hello, this is my first post. Thought I would start by showing one of my projects and my main reason for becoming a member.
    Recently picked up this 1978 Type LT.
    Brought it up to its new "forever" home from Florida just last month.
    Already started fixing stuff. My plan is to get it driveable for the summer and then next winter really get down to business.
    The body has a ton of potential I think. We dont find cars like this here in MI very often.
    For this car I plan on doing the stuff I always dreamed of doing when I was a kid but couldn't afford to actually do. Don't care about keeping it all stock numbers matching and that sort of thing. And not planning a flip. Just going to be my hot rod.
    78CamLR1-0155.jpg

2. DBS

DBS Veteran Member

What are your plans for it?

3. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Soon as I get some of the minor body issues worked out I'm thinking a high end small block build. THM400, new gears but staying with the 10 bolt. I prefer a hopped up look with rake. Fat tires and no fender flares. I know its not real popular today, but I'm old school.
    Nothing is written in stone yet. I have a low mileage stock LS3 motor just sitting in my garage, and I keep looking at it and thinking it would be pretty sweet.
    My son has never seen how an old school carbureted engine is set up and he seems interested. So thats why I was thinking doing a small block set up. That and BB and the LS swap stuff gets expensive fast.
    Theres a ton of stuff that needs fixed. Body is the best part, looks nice but not exactly an awesome driving experience to drive right now. My immediate goal is to get it running and driveable/safe for this summer.

riderwestslope likes this.
  4. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Welcome aboard. Seems like you've got a good car to start with. One thing you've got going for is the wife seems to be happy about it too.

5. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

She actually wheeled it out last weekend. Helped it a bunch.
    Looked like whoever painted it last kind of gave up and never finished it. They did an ok job, but not great. I do like the color. I'll probably keep the color just have it re painted nicer.

6. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Well looks like you have a good bases to start with. There is plenty of help here no matter which way you go,Good luck to you.

7. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

I've been working on the instrument panel and dash this week. There was no lights, no blower, no wiper, no speedo. Radio only worked for CDs.
    Wiring all cobbled up. Some wires just twisted together with electrical tape holding them.
    The side windows were decent but I made the mistake of rolling the drivers side up and down and now I see scratches, DEEP ones in the glass.
    Took the door apart and missing rubber stop so window goes down too far. The swipe felts have metal crimping that was digging into the glass due to not adjusted correctly.
    I picked up a new dash from NPD. Found out NPD where house only 45 minutes from my house. Well they have a new customer :) Been there like 3 times in the last two weeks :)
    On the getting it safe to drive thing, the steering coupler is wasted. The intake is leaking A/F. It burns oil heavy. Brake lines are rotten in several places. But it will start and does go down the road.
    KIMG0163.jpeg

KIMG0167.jpeg
    This is the new NPD dash
    KIMG0172.jpg

8. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Thought I would make an update,
    I finished the dash, instrument cluster, new printed circuit, etc. I swapped all the interior and dash lights with LEDs. Now I can actually see the gauges at night. The courtesy lighting is all red LEDs. Looks pretty cool at night.
    New steering, intake and 4bbl carb, headers, dual exhaust.
    It's running pretty good for a 305. At least I think it does. Nothing special. Just wanted to get it running and looking good so I can drive it around for the summer. It will now officially do a brake torque :)
    KIMG0187.jpeg
    I made a video, this is my first attempt at doing one of these so hopefully it works.

Coadster32 likes this.
  9. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Sometimes I like to just sit and stare at my car :)

CHEVYSINTHEHOUSE1LR-1841.jpg

10. 1972_Z-28

1972_Z-28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Looks like a great start to a long term project.
    Enjoy and build it up the way you like.
    Pics and videos are always enjoyed!!!!