My 1978 Type

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Gasoholic, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

I'm back to work on my car.
    I'm finding myself low on funds lately and I've come to the conclusion I can't afford to do everything I wanted to do for my car. I'm going to need to lower my expectations.
    So here is my plan to try and get done over the winter and be able to drive it next summer.

I've got a used low miles LS3. I pretty much have no cost into this motor and I know it runs good cause I was the one who took it out.
    I decided I'm going to do an LS swap.
    KIMG0100.JPG
    I'm planning to go with the Holley TerminatorXmax kit for fuel spark and trans. It was recommended to me from a good friend. Most of the fuel system is going to be Holley, but I'm going to use a stock GM intake, fuel rails, injectors, and throttle body. It's free and its good enough for now.
    I'm probably going to go with this Gear Star 4L75e stage 4 Trans.
    Thoughts are down the road I can find the means to either overhaul the stock motor, bore, stroke, cam and heads, or I got this sort of idea about maybe building an LSX 454 that makes 720hp. Either way if I get this all set up for the LS stuff now then down the road it will be easier to do those things. And in the mean time, Lord willing, I can still drive it.

On my roll cage from RPM, it's a very nice piece. I waited a really long time to receive it. The floor mounts are nice and flush, but the wheel mounts are a bit out of square. I suppose thats what happens when you get something already fabbed together mail order. I can get it mounted as is, but I want to try and make it look cleaner. Thinking maybe fabbing some kind of perches.
    KIMG0101.JPG
    The old headliner wasn't horrible. Just really faded. I thought I might re use it, but I accidentally tore it.
    Anyone have thoughts on the ABS one from NPD?
    From reading some of the threads it sounds like getting the pre made one is hit or miss. May just as well do the pieces separately and do the gluing and cutting myself.
    . KIMG0102.JPG

So thats where I'm at.
    I suspect things should get busy for awhile now. I've got a plan, and a dead line. And heck we've already had over a foot of snow. I just want to stay in my heated garage :)

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Most of us just work on our cars as time and money permits. So you don`t have to get in too much of a hurry .Especially as a thing called life interferes with the build.So just think of what you will have when you are finished. Good luck to you.

Attached Files:

Gasoholic likes this.
  3. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

Congrats on your decision on the LS swap! Like you, I've already dreading the weather that's coming our way here in the great white north but on the same note I'm also looking forward to the times that I will spend in the garage working on the Camaro during these cold months.

Attached Files:

Gasoholic likes this.
  4. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Been a busy month with Christmas and all. Santa brought me some new parts for the 78 :)
    Got a new DBW accelerator pedal and the mounting bracket from Scarebird.
    Haven't figured out where this one bracket goes yet but figure it will be obvious once I go to install it.
    Also got a nice billet aluminum grill. Both upper and lower will now match.
    I haven't got as far as I had hoped to be right now on the LS swap. Meant to have the old motor and trans out. Ah well.

KIMG0107.jpg KIMG0108.jpg KIMG0109.jpg KIMG0110.jpg

ZerroHalfcup and mrfleet12 like this.
  5. 79Zee28

79Zee28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nice grill!

Gasoholic likes this.
  6. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

I got the motor out tonight.

I'm going to replace all the body mounts, but I'm not going to try to seperate the complete frt clip. I'm going to loosen one side at a time, and replace them one at a time.
    I've been soaking them with penetrant like everytime I work on it I spray up into the frame where the cage nuts are.
    I figure by the time I get to them they should be nice and lubed. Fingers crossed.
    KIMG0111.JPG

I've been researching my trans options. I think I'm going with the 4L80E from Gear Star. They offer an option for speedo cable drive as well as speed sensor. So I can use my stock speedo that I just fixed last spring.
    I'm looking at the stage 2 w/ 2200 stall.
    I can actually get the 80E cheaper than a max build 60E series. I think the 80E will be a better option and something I can build on in the future.

7. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Got the old trans out. Working on fuel systems and rear end now. Well sorta anyway. I keep going back and forth on stuff. So much to do. Jump in with both feet and start taking stuff apart :)
    Other than passengers frt floor toe section, the rust above the rear axle is the heaviest I've found.
    You can see it in my pics. To me it isn't "that" bad. I can tell someone has been there before and kinda half heartily tried cleaning it up and painting over it.
    I'm not going to get too carried away here. The most important thing is I get it stopped now. Going to try to clean it up to bare metal prime it and paint it. Putting in all new fuel lines, fuel tank with pump, brakes lines etc.
    KIMG0114.JPG KIMG0115 (3).JPG KIMG0116.JPG KIMG0117.JPG

mrfleet12 likes this.
  8. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Found new "worst" spot. It's above the tail lights. Been repaired before. At least its out of sight. Have to take the tail light housings out to see it. This will take me awhile to fix.
    KIMG0120.JPG

9. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

KIMG0126.JPG KIMG0123.JPG KIMG0121.JPG
    Got a little more done.
    I'm considering getting a new frt fascia. The OE urethane is stressed cracked in a few places. I've seen worse. Going to hold off for now. See if I can save some money elsewhere that I could use to cover getting a new fascia and having it painted.

Camaromurph likes this.
  10. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

This is what I got going on with the frt fascia. Small cracks. One fairly big chip, thats the worst one. Probably if I was to flex it much a whole bunch more cracks would form. I was really gentle when I removed it.
    I assume this kind of thing is not repairable right?
    My options appear to be NPD solid fiberglass. A repro urethane one, or a "flexible" fiberglass model.

KIMG0129.JPG KIMG0127.JPG