My 1978 Type

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Gasoholic, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Little more work done. Steering, Springs spindles all out. Been running wire wheel over everything getting rid of all the crud and cleaning all the old parts. Got 2 body mounts out on rt side. Left side got one loose, Remaining 3 are seized. Haven't broken one yet... Still holding out hope I can get them loose. I've been soaking the heck out of them.
    I have a set of the global west solid body mounts coming for this next week.
    I've decided I'm going to get some new "lowering" type frt coil springs. It sat too high with the small block so its only stands to reason I'm going to want something else for the ls3.
    This is one of my seized bolts. At least I can get to the top of this one. The back ones theres no access. Have to cut hole.
    KIMG0136.JPG

KIMG0135.JPG

KIMG0134.JPG

2. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

I got the rt side body mounts all completely out.
    This one was twisting and I thought sure it was going to twist off and brake. I just kept working it back and forth and soaking it with penetrant.
    KIMG0137.JPG
    This is some items I got cleaned up and primed. I used etching type primer. I've been using this stuff at work and seems like it works good. I don't know, I'm not a body guy.
    KIMG0139.JPG

So my new Global west solid body mounts are due to arrive today.
    I still have 2 bolts to get off on the drivers side.
    Lord willing this weekend I hope to have the front subframe cleaned and primed. Then I plan to paint to paint it semi gloss black.
    Its not powder coat, I don't know if thats ok or not? I'm just kind of tight on funds. I think at least it will look good for awhile. It's not like I'm ever going to drive it snow and salt. Will certainly be better than it was.

3. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

KIMG0143 (1).JPG
    Solid body mounts came.

KIMG0144.JPG
    They're made to sandwich together between the body and frame. The top bushing drops down through the top of the subframe and the bottom bushing comes up through the bottom of the subframe. Sort of like double locks everything together.

KIMG0145 (1).JPG
    These are so much better than what was in there.
    I can't wait till I have this subframe stuff done so I can get to work making the motor and trans fit. Oh yeah still got the REAR subframe to do. And the floor pan, rear inner tail light housing, all the brake lines, fuel lines, fuel system upgrade for EFI, and on and on.

Eat sleep wrench! Just keep chipping away!

Jodi and ZerroHalfcup like this.
  4. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Quick updates.
    Hurt my hand and its set me back a bit.
    I'm slowly getting the frame, under carriage, and engine comp cleaned up. Still not quite ready to prime but getting close.
    I'm doing this as a sort of frame on resto. Although the sub frame is completely loose. I have everything supported with saw horses and jack stands. Working on my back to clean the underneath. This probably isn't the best way to do this. But its working.

Other items going on,
    I picked up some parts from a member here to build a new differential.
    Now have enough parts to assemble a 28 spline 8.5" 10 bolt with 3:73 gears and spring and clutch posi. He included a real nice moser billet cover and even a disc brake conversion kit. Sweet! Thanks Mark!

I ordered some patch panels from Eastwood. These are for the passengers floor toe section, and radiator core support. These are the aluminized panels. I've never used these before but they are supposed to be easy to work with and weld.

Also got some Eastwood encapsulator primer and the frame kit for coating the insides of the sub frame and body channels.
    I have been cleaning everything with wire wheels, brushes with extenders to get inside the frame.

Also since the last pic I've got all the bushings, and ball joints out of the control arms. Pretty much ready to start going back together once I get the painting done.

KIMG0152.JPG

5. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

Car is coming along nicely! Good job man.
    To quote Jay Leno... It's a Chevy, All you need is a Hammer and a screwdriver to fix it! and I'll add to that. One good hand. LOL...

All joking aside... hope your hand is all good now.

Gasoholic likes this.
  6. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Little more done today.
    Mostly still cleaning, grinding, wire wheel stuff. Can't wait till the cleaning is over!

I fixed the drivers side subframe cage nut that was broken. Welded the nut and then bent the cage back around it and tacked it. Couldn't see what I was doing very well. Kind of had to do it blind. Took a few attempts to get in the right spot.

Started cutting out the rusted section on the passengers frt floor.

These are my old sub frame bushings. Seen better days.

KIMG0166.JPG
    KIMG0165.JPG

I'm real close to being able to paint the sub frame and under carriage.. I set the new subframe bushings in place to see how they look.
    They definitely ride higher. Probably 1/4" more clearance.
    KIMG0164.JPG

This is the section I'm cutting out of the passengers floor pan.
    KIMG0163.JPG

I'm cutting this slowly trying to protect the section where the firewall subframe mounts on the under side. The subframe side is ok. It was rusting from inside out.
    I have some patch metal coming monday and I plan to cut the inner layer out and welding in a patch that will underlay 1 inch along the bottom and overlay 1 inch along the top. Then spot weld. paint and seal.
    Thats my plan any way. Should work. Doesn't have to look pretty.
    The rest of the floor is fine. Just needs finished cleaned up and painted. Getting there :)
    KIMG0162.JPG

7. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Frustrating weekend. Worked all day friday and sat on my car. Feels like I didn't get much done.
    Patching the passengers floor toe section.
    Everything started perfect. The most important welds over the firewall sub frame area turned out good and solid and looks nice. I was so happy:)
    Then things started going south. The metal started warping and couldn't get my welds to hold. Harder I tried the worse it got. And then I started melting through on the inside bell housing area. Just a small spot but sucks!
    I'm frustrated and tired. I'm thinking I might just grind it all back out and start over. I dont know what I'm going to do yet. Frustrated!!!!!

8. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Quick update,
    been thinking hard and decided I'm going to just try to grind out the area where I blew through and butt weld another patch into that section.
    I think if I can get some help and have someone hold a copper backing plate from underneath behind that section while I weld from the top it should work. I think the problem I'm having is the right side over the subframe mount is good and solid so when I push down on it and weld its nice and tight. That side the welds are good and strong.
    The left side by the bell housing is weaker thinner metal and when I push down with my hammer handle it has too much give in it and the so the metals aren't tight together causing a weak weld.
    Well it all works in my mind anyway. We'll see how it works in real life.

9. ZerroHalfcup

ZerroHalfcup Member

Hoping that works out for you, I'm curious as to how you get it fixed and welded in. I'm about to try to weld that same section into my car today.

10. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

I'm back at work now. Work Sunday thru Thursdays 2nd shift. So probably wont get back on it till next Friday.

I'm too embarrassed to show a pic of what I got going on right now. Sad, I'm 56. I've worked on cars since I was a little kid. I'm good at turning wrenches but not good at body work. And not for lack of trying.
    Sigh,,,,, I know I'll get it eventually. Just dang I sure wish this body stuff was done so I could get onto doing the things I enjoy doing.

Good luck with yours. And maybe post some pics so I can see how to do it right :)

ZerroHalfcup likes this.