My 1978 Type

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Gasoholic, Apr 2, 2019.

1. ZerroHalfcup

ZerroHalfcup Member

I wasn't able to get it welded in, just ran out of time. Trust me, my work will be far from anything pretty, I'm shooting for straight and functional. I'm right there with you as far as body work goes, I'd much rather be working on the small block I got for it but having a floor to bolt a seat to will be nice.

2. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

Sorry it didn't turned out the way you wanted, we all have days like that...sometimes you just have to walk away, clear your head and start over.
    Hope everything works out! Good luck man...

3. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Thanks, yeah I'll get it eventually. Lord knows I can't do much else right now. Everything is closed due to corona virus.

I did find me some more cool stuff for my motor. Got some Holley valve covers, a catch can set up, ZZP round LS3 coils, MSD plug wire set, and new throttle body. Guy out in WA had some for sale from his corvette. Look pretty new. Saved about half what new ones would cost.

4. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

It's the same over here with the COVID-19 situation... it sucks what's it doing to the economy too, investment is plummeting faster than John Force runs the 1/4 mile. LOL
    Hopefully this doesn't last long ("being optimistic") and will be over soon so we can get on with our normal lives.

Good to hear about your parts find! Sounds like you found a good deal...
    It's always a good feeling, knowing that you save some hard earned cash.

5. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

So I ground it back out and started over.
    I guess it probably still looks like heck but believe me its better than the first try.
    I got some more touching up on the under side but can't see any light coming through seams.
    I moved the inside, (left top corner of patch) up to give me a bit more clearance for headers and to cover where I blew through :)

KIMG0175.JPG

6. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

I added quite a few more rosettes to my patch panel. It doesn't look pretty but its strong. I know because I've been doing a lot of hammering on it to make it fit good and tight and my welds didn't brake.
    I plan on sealing this with seam sealer from the inside. But not sure about the outside, under side.
    My original plan was to finish the under side with Easton rust encapsulater primer. and then paint semi gloss black. I'm thinking it would be a bad idea to put any body filler on the under side due to this is a high heat area? IDK. But either way I don't think its going to be very noticeable once I get it all cleaned up and painted. The biggest thing is to get it sealed up good and have it be strong. Looks not as important as strength.

KIMG0176.JPG KIMG0177.JPG

ZerroHalfcup likes this.
  7. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Decided to do something a bit more fun than grinding and welding.
    Set my new valve covers and coils on the motor to see how they fit and look.
    Did a little polishing on her too.
    I like em :)
    Also picked up a sliver blade throttle body. From what I've been told the gold blade will give me issues with the holley efi controller.
    Funny they look almost identical. Plug is the same. Both 92mm. But I guess the gold blade will throw a code and go into reduced power under wide open throttle.

KIMG0178.JPG KIMG0179.JPG KIMG0180.JPG

8. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Working with my son and showing him how and er maybe more importantly how not to weld.
    He welded this patch on my radiator support. I think he did a pretty good job.

KIMG0183.JPG

I sealed the seams on my floor pan patch panel. Doing a final clean before I paint the entire floor pan.
    Been working on fabbing some perches to mount my roll cage. Did a pre fit and got everything laid out. Now pulling back out so I can finish up the floor pan.
    Also,
    I'm thinking I wont be able to fit the head liner in once the cage is mounted so I'm going to have to get that taken care of first.
    I'm probably going to use the NPD replacement. It's a little more work since it requires you to fit the felt and glue it to the panel but from what I've been told the one piece pre fabbed panels don't fit well. So sometimes the long way home is the best way. We'll see. Hopefully NPD is still open!

KIMG0184.JPG

ZerroHalfcup likes this.
  9. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

Patch up job turned out pretty good... good job man.
    Kudos to you on getting your son involved, I think he did a pretty good job too.

10. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Got the core support and frt sub frame primered. Sprayed the inside of the sub frame with Eastwood internal frame coating. Going to finish it all off with Eastwood chassis black satin finish coat.
    Interior wise got the headliner glued up and ready to install.

On my subframe while torquing down the rt side middle mount the cage nut came loose. Global west calls for 100 ft lbs for rear bushings and 70 ft lbs for the core support bushings.
    I had to bend the cage up to get to the nut. Then welded the front side of it. Bent the cage back down and tacked the frt 2 corners in place. That was as far as I could get the wire to reach. I was able to torque it to specs after that. I had to do the same on the drivers side as it broke while taking it apart.

Anyway starting to look like I'm getting some things accomplished. Going to look mighty nice with the LS3 in there I think :)

KIMG0191.JPG

KIMG0190.JPG

KIMG0189.JPG

1978 Z/28 and mrfleet12 like this.