My 1978 Type

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Gasoholic, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Ordered a whole bunch more paint. Also ordered a new package tray with insulation. I was going to make one but they aren't that expensive so I figured what the heck.

I'm close to ordering my motor and trans mounts. Sort of back and forth between Holley and BRP. The dirty dingo mounts look nice but not sure I like all the adjustment slots as I think it would make the bracket weaker.
    I think I like the BRP set up best..
    This is the kit I'm considering,
    http://www.brphotrods.com/mm5/merch...Code=BRP&Product_Code=LSX2&Category_Code=CNV2
    For reference I'm installing an LS3 and 4L80E.

2. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Got a little bit more done today. Sub frame, core support and firewall are all painted.

KIMG0194.JPG

These are the paints I used. I'm at around $300.oo in paint so far. And I still got a lot more to do in the rear sub frame.
    I used the rust encapsulater for primer and extreme chassis for finish coat and internal frame coating for the inner subframe and inside the body bushing support housings. There wasn't much rust really, just figured the rust encapsulater would adhere better? I dont know. First time I've used this product. We'll see how it holds up. Should look pretty nice for a while any way. This car will never see snow or harsh weather. And its way nicer than it was before.
    I've still got to finish putting the control arms together. I was planning to use global west springs with a 1 inch drop. But tried calling them last week to order and they're closed due to corona virus.
    Might have to order another brand. I want to get the steering and suspension together so I can roll this outside and clean my garage.

KIMG0196.JPG

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  3. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

I got the new package tray and headliner put together today. Everything is just set in place to make sure it fits. Still got some finishing touches to make.
    I didn't cut out for rear window defroster. I think I'm deleting that.
    Got set of pioneer 6x9 triaxials that simply have to go in there though. In 1978 I would have had 6x9 traixes in the back and 6 inch coax rounds in the doors. Equalizer and power booster, rockin a/c d/c on my cassette :)

KIMG0198.JPG

KIMG0197.JPG

SSgtFig and mrfleet12 like this.
  4. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

Making good progress. Very nice!

5. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Been dealing with a pinched nerve in my cervical spine. Least thats what they think it is. Causes pain and tingling from my left shoulder down through my arm and into my hand. Been doing PT 3 days a week and seeing a chiropractor twice a week.
    Guess 40 yrs of wrenching is starting to catch up with me.

Anyway I'm doing a little better the last few days. I started working on my car again.
    This weekend I finished painting the control arms and got the bushings and ball joints installed.
    I also finally finished mounting the main hoop for the roll cage. Few other things done. Bumper support is in. Spindles are painted and ready.
    I haven't installed the front coil springs yet. I got the new ones from Global west. They are supposed to be inch drop from stock. They sure are alot shorter than the stock ones. More than 1 inch. Guess it doesn't necessarily matter. It all comes down to how much they flex. Guess we will see. Hope to have them in next weekend.

KIMG0204.JPG
    The angle iron keeps the flange from becoming distorted while pressing the bushing in.

KIMG0206.JPG
    New coil springs quite a bit shorter but supposedly will only drop 1 inch from stock. We will see.....

KIMG0207.JPG

KIMG0208.JPG
    New ball joints and bushings. About ready to install the springs.

6. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Got the springs installed. Steering linkage set up. Ordered a new gear. Going manual. Went with the Flaming River 20:1. This will effectively remove 40 lbs of weight and free up some clearance.
    I cleaned up my oe steering column for the time being. It's in usable condition. I don't want to spend any money on it. I'd rather spend money on a new one. But new ones are like 800$
    I'm holding out hope one day I will find a deal on one. So for now just keep using the one I got.

KIMG0210.JPG

7. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

I got my new steering gear today. Pretty nice looking piece of equipment. Made in the USA.
    I mocked it up on the frame. I may have to get a shorter pitman arm. Also I thought my boregeson u-joint would fit the 5/8 36 spline but apparently my other gear wasn't 36 spline.
    Anyway I got a new one coming should be here by friday.

KIMG0211.JPG

SSgtFig likes this.
  8. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Got my new u-joint from Flaming River. I must say I think the Flaming River joints look much nicer and heavy duty-er than the Borgeson joints. Not cheap though.

I had to re-engineer my set up. Couldn't find a double D shaft u-joint adapter smaller than 1". The Borgeson inner shaft is like 1/2 inch double D. They must make their own joint to match. IDK. Possibly could have called them, but like I said, I'm impressed with the Flaming river joints. So I went with their parts.

I used a piece of 1" DD tubing I had left over. It slides over the 1/2" DD so that now the shaft goes from 1" double D to 1/2" double D and back to 1" Does that make sense?
    Got the steering mostly put back together now.
    Still got some adjustments to make but this is basically how its going to fit.
    Really frees up alot of room, removes around 40lbs of weight, reduces parasitic drag on the motor and one less belt driven accessory to have to worry about. Even if I do throw a belt I wont loose steering.

KIMG0222.JPG

KIMG0225.JPG KIMG0226.JPG

ZerroHalfcup likes this.
  9. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Got the steering linkage worked out finally. Had some issues with the pitman arm length being too long. It was really close tolerance between the linkage and the sub frame. Ordered a shorter one that seems to fit better.

I put the OE hubs on so I could put the wheels on it and roll it out of my garage. Rolled it outside and cleaned the garage today. Much needed.

KIMG0240.JPG

KIMG0239.JPG I

I'm trying to make up my mind what brake system I want to go with.
    Some guys I talk to tell me the floating caliper system is not a good way to go. Need to upgrade to 4 piston type.
    Only thing is all the 4 piston kits require cutting my spindles. Not sure I want to do that. Plus, I've already got a brand new drum to disk upgrade kit for the rears that are single piston floating type.
    My choices are to either go with a completely new set up that includes 4 piston calipers, brg hubs, and fancy drilled and slotted rotors, or get the d-50 kit from wilwood that uses floating type dual piston caliper and stock rotors for the front and run the drum to disk single piston floating conversion kit that I already have for the rears.

When I was at the drag strip last week I looked at some of the street cars that were running floating calipers. I know at least one of them was in the 9 second range. I doubt my car is going to run anywhere near that fast. At least for now.

Haven't made yet my mind yet but the brake system my next purchase.

10. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Pretty much done painting the floor pan. Used 1 qt of brush on, and 2 14oz aerosol spray cans of the Eastwood rust encapsulator. Satin black. I've still got most of the one can of spray left.

Slowly been putting the dash back together. I believe this makes the 3rd time I've had it all apart and put back together. I got all out of sequence working on this car. Suppose its good for me. I'm really getting to know this car well. Just that I could have done some of these things so much easier if I had made a better plan at the beginning.

KIMG0246.JPG KIMG0247.JPG

Jodi likes this.