My 1978 Type

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Gasoholic, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

We got word this year will be the last official Camaro Superfest. Unless another sponsor picks it up. Seems to be the way things are going. We are truly the last of a dying breed.

The last rebels on the road!!!!!!!

2. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Picked up my diff today. DTS did real nice work.
    I have to weld to brackets to my spring perches to fit the split mono leafs. I'm going to try .030 through my mig.
    Then finish wire wheeling it and going to paint it with some of that "Steel IT" paint one of the other members here recommended it.
    Also need to mock up my disk brakes and make sure everything still fits.

KIMG0346.JPG

KIMG0345.JPG

3. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

Looks good! and with that girdle it should do the job.

Gasoholic likes this.
  4. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

I got the spacer plates for the split mono leafs welded in.

KIMG0349.JPG
    Finished cleaning the housing and gave it a coat of primer.

KIMG0350.JPG

Jodi likes this.
  5. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

Its coming along nicely...

Gasoholic likes this.
  6. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

I put the finish coat on the housing.
    I decided to just use some leftover paint I have instead of buying the "Steel It" paint.
    I used Eastwood internal frame coating as my primer. Then did a couple coats of the Eastwood extreme chassis black satin finish.
    The internal frame coat sticks really good to old "weathered" metal. And it works well as a primer for the Eastwood Extreme chassis as a finish coat. And besides that I have 4 cans left over from other projects :)

So now on to my next big thing. My rear brakes.
    The kit I picked up that I have no instructions for, well it doesn't fit so well.

Thought I might be able to engineer a way to make it work. But just keep running into walls.
    My choices are to either go with stock drums. I set them on just to see and they will fit.
    Or I'm going to need to find a disc conversion that will work with the big ford bearing ends.

KIMG0351.JPG

Bracket made to mount on inside of flange but wont fit around the larger ford ends.
    KIMG0353.JPG
    It's possible I can have some shims made and I could fit the bracket from the outside of the flange.
    KIMG0354.JPG
    But then ran into this. The rotor hats ID is ever so slightly smaller than the axle flange.
    KIMG0355.JPG
    Rotors will only slide on this far.
    KIMG0356.JPG
    Everything else it concentric and fits nicely if I turn the rotor inside out. Suppose I could possibly try turning the inner rotor hat out. But eh, I think I'm done trying to make this kit work.
    Time to get the check book out and order the correct stuff. It's only money right :(
    KIMG0357.JPG

7. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

OK I think I got it figured out. The new ford brg ends I have from Moser are the "special chevy" bolt in ends.
    These are the two kits I'm finding that I believe will fit with what I want to do. For reference I want to be able to use 15 inch wheels.

This is the higher end kit,
    https://www.moserengineering.com/Wi...oser-Gm-Ends-281-Offset-Staggered-Shocks.item

And this is the "Economy" kit. Similar to the kit I picked up from a friend but fits the "Special" Chevy ends.
    https://www.moserengineering.com/61...t-NON-Parking-Brake-For-Staggered-Shocks.item

The economy kit is a little more installer friendly as it comes with different shims to accommodate multiple off sets.
    The high end kit I have to be more precise on my measurements.

I suspect I will need to contact DTS on monday and get their advice. Probably order stuff through them and pay mark up. Sometimes just best to make friends that way anyway. Never hurts to have friends :)

8. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

So I have been making zero progress lately.

Tried ordering a Wilwood brake kit for my rear brakes, but found out they are way backordered. So I got mad and cancelled. That was back in Feb.
    Then I ended up contracting Covid. ughhhh. Hit me like way harder than I thought it would. Everyone I spoke to that has had it was like yeah its like a bad case of the flu. NOT!
    Anyway here I sit going stir crazy. I'm feeling better but my lungs are still messed up good. I want to work on my car but I get really tired really fast. Got a wire hand brush and I just been brushing out tiny little hard to reach places with it. I think painting is probably not a good idea anyway just yet so no need to rush.
    I think I've watched every episode there ever was of Roadkill garage, Faster with Finnegin, and Fastest cars in the dirty south. Heck I've watched most of them twice ")

Tomorrow I am going to order my rear brakes. One way or another. And eventually I WILL be back to work!!!

9. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

COVID hit close to home for us too. Mother in-law contracted the decease and sad to say she did not recover from it.

10. Gasoholic

Gasoholic Veteran Member

Wow! I'm sorry for your loss.
    We have lost some really good people to this :(

Jodi likes this.