My 1979 Camaro Z28 Project!

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Blu-By-U 79Z, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Blu-By-U 79Z

Blu-By-U 79Z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thats a great story Eddie. Always wondered what it was like back in the day. Ive got to admit ive seen a change in myself when I go back and read my thread myself. Just wish I had the speed to get things done like I did back then. Money has been a big factor lately. I too cant wait to get this thing finished, but at the same time the fun is building right? lol Glad to have you on the site. Thanks for the kind words and ill be safe in this crap weather.

2. xnightflyerx

xnightflyerx Member

Man I'm still sweating bullets down here 80 degrees and humidity lol

3. stang_kllr

stang_kllr New Member

Wow! your car is ridiculously immaculate! you motivate me to really get my ass up and want to work on my 81 :)

4. Blu-By-U 79Z

Thanks alot man. I appreciate it.

5. Blu-By-U 79Z

So I tried to get out to the garage and do some work on the Z. Decided to start messing with the power steering lines. I still need the older style pressure valve but at least i can get my lines fitted.... or so i thought. The pressure line went right on no issues. (just sitting inside the pump fitting) The return line didnt line up with the pump at all... I got looking and the pump i have has a totally different return line set up than the stock pump. Stock return line come out of the pump and curves under the pump body. My pumps style comes out and is brazed to the side of the reservoir. I seen a picture of a third gen pump with a similar style return as the stock pump. But i wish i would have known this before i put so much time and effort into powder coating the one i have and rebuilding it. Anyways, This is the only way i could get the return line to fit. It took some custom bending and im not sure if im satisfied with it or not. So i need some input. Will this set up work? How did my "custom" line turn out. -Matt

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Wynder

Wynder Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Matt:
    What about cutting the pump hard line so you have only a "U" without the upward bend? Then, lay the steering box hard line down so it is parallel with the pressure hard line, and that should get the return line more or less in a straighter line back to the pump housing. Use a Dremel or something that will cut that hard line without doing much damage to the powder coating, then push the rubber line over what you have left far enough to cover any marks or divots from cutting the line off...

My opinion, it's worth what you paid for it... :bowtie:

Merry Christmas!

7. Blu-By-U 79Z

hey man,
    I thought about something like that. Just wasnt sure about the hose possibly sliding off. Granted its just a return hose. I was trying to figure out if the old style pump reservoir would fit the newer style pump. Then it would be an easy swap but im not sure. Merry Christmas man!

8. Bumpad_Z28

Bumpad_Z28 Veteran Member

I think the way you have it setup would work, BUT I also like Wynder's idea !

What lines are you using ? Stock 3rd gen lines ?

Oh and I always liked these style screw clamps better (they don't cut the hose)
    [​IMG]

~DaVe

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  9. Blu-By-U 79Z

Hey Dave,
    The lines are stock 79 camaro lines. I dont guess ive seen those clamps before.

10. Blu-By-U 79Z

Not alot of progress lately. Picked up an 80 Z28 roller today. No title and BAD rust. $400. Was supposed to be a posi rear but sadly it wasnt. Did end up getting the wheels, driver fender, rear glass, door glass and rear bumper cover for mine. The rest is forsale in the swap meet section.

[​IMG]