My '70 Forest Green SS 350

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by spons, Sep 11, 2010.

1. z28rod

z28rod Veteran Member

the engine compartment looks like its in great shape, man minimal work and paint is all you need for a killer ride !! how did you find such a straight clean car ??

2. LtRsZ

LtRsZ Veteran Member

I like the green int. I also like the 4 speed.

3. spons

spons Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The car arrived late Friday evening and I spent most of Saturday removing the interior. Everything underneath the carpet and underlyment looks good, but dirty. Today I took out the windshield and back glass and it was a different story, as everything that appeared from beneath was bad.

I think I can take care of the back glass issues by welding in some metal, but I'm not sure what to make of the front of the roof. I forgot to take pics, but the inner roof looks like swiss cheese for the front three inches.

I was not planning to remove the doors or front end, but the rest of the car is so dirty I will do it if only to clean. The passenger door or skin will need to be replaced since I can see a bunch of bondo fingers coming through a dent repair. Don't know if I will do a skin or door replacement since the skin looks like a pretty involved process.

Driver Side Floor
    [​IMG]

Passenger Side Floor/Dash
    [​IMG]

Rear Floor
    [​IMG]

What a mess
    [​IMG]

Center of Windshield
    [​IMG]

Passenger Side Windshield Pillar
    [​IMG]

Driver Side Rear Window
    [​IMG]

Passenger Side Rear Window
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking.

4. z28rod

z28rod Veteran Member

you can do it, some guys here have started with so much more work reqd, yours is not that bad.

5. MagicRatt

MagicRatt Veteran Member

.....that's not too bad to deal with. If you start working in one area, stay in that area and take your time. Don't jump all over the car. It can get frustrating if you get ahead of yourself and try to do too much. Good luck and fun with it.......

Rich

6. cws455

cws455 Veteran Member

I agree. That isn't bad at all for a 40 year old car. The floors look great, no rot in your quarters. You have a very nice starting point. Take your time, it'll be sweet when you finish.

7. JohnL71RS

JohnL71RS Veteran Member

i have it worst in the rear. As MagicRatt said, just start in one area and move to the next. I am still figuring how to attack mine.

8. spons

I think I'm going to replace the roof skin and weld patches onto the top of the structure when the skin is off. The remaining damage is to the passenger side roof pillar and I hope to find a donor piece that I can use to make patches.

And to think I hoped to not have to weld on this project.

9. spons

Yesterday morning I finally started grinding the paint off the rear quarters using my new Kobalt 60 gallon compressor and a D/A sander with 40 grit, but the compressor blew up after about 25 minutes. Lowe's was great to deal with - no questions asked - and is bringing out a new compressor tomorrow.

So I continued using a palm D/A sander and it was slow going. It took forever to grind through the 1/8"-1/4" of bondo and polyester surfacer that covered both quarters. It looks like some dings were pulled that left holes subsequently coverd with filler - no welding. I did an online search and found that you could use heat to remove bondo, so I took my propane torch and a fat wood chisel and went at it.

The passenger side shows what it looks like after one pass with the torch and chisel, and the driver side is the finished product with an additional 40 grit D/A sanding with the palm sander. It was neat to see some original forest green paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since I had the torch fired up I also melted most of the lead out of the roof-to-quarter seam in preparation for roof skin replacement. Anyone have any tips on how to get the remaining lead out? I'm hoping I can get a few more days of good weather to get the rest of the car stripped in the driveway and then I'm going to start in on the roof skin. I figure the inner skin will be a good place to do my first welding since it won't show. I'll be using POS71RS's excellent roof skin replacement parts 1 and 2 as a guide, which BTW should be stickied somewhere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And it looks like this car had rear bumperettes, which would have been an odd thing for a non-Z28. Check out the holes in the bumper and rear lower tail panel. The holes in the tail panel had been filled with bondo.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking. Sharp-eyed observers will notice that the last picture shows the front drivers fender of my other SS350 that is up on a four-post lift that was delivered a few weeks ago from Greg Smith Equipment.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  10. Done Yet?

Done Yet? Veteran Member

Nice looking Project, You have some work ahead of you but it will be worth it when its done.Too bad your so far away i have a real good roof inner and outer still on my donor car. It would be a little on the large size to ship.