My '70 Forest Green SS 350

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by spons, Sep 11, 2010.

1. spons

spons Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

All the good stuff is always way south or way west of here. If you get to the point you are ready to pitch the shell, maybe you could cut off the front 12" or so of the inner panel and ship it. I probably couldn't pay you enough to make it worth your effort, but I could try!

2. mmike

mmike Member

There's a 72 in the Pick and Pull, in Hammond in
    I think the roof was in good shape, I never looked at the roof real close. Might be worth the trip. There's no doors on the car, there going on mine ;) I did get a few other bits from it also.

3. spons

Thanks for the tip. I may be going to Chicago soon to pick up some exhaust stuff so I'll make sure to allow time for a boneyard detour.

4. arick793

arick793 Veteran Member

Then put the glass back in ;) Seriously though, maybe you can call some windshield places and see what they reccomend. I'm sure they see this kind of stuff.

5. high impact

high impact Veteran Member

I'm 40 miles south of hammond and if I get that way soon I will check it out for you and click a couple of cell phone pics. I usually go that way once a week.

6. spons

The panel cutter arrived from Auto Body toolmart yesterday and today I got to spend an hour tearing off the roof.

Here's the tool, which was $11.99.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There was a rust hole in the roof so I started there with the panel cutter.
    [​IMG]

I cut the areas around the windshield and back window with a regular V-shaped chisel.
    [​IMG]

Once I got all the way around I forced a prybar in and pulled up. There was not much movement, but I could tell where a few of the glued spots were, and I heated them one at a time with a propane torch until they let go. Then I could pull up a bit more and locate the next row of glue spots. After moving from one side to the other about six times it finally let go.

It's pretty nasty under there, but there's only one rust hole to patch other than the ones up front by the windshield.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rob has thankfully agreed to send me part of his inner roof so I can fix this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well, that's all 'till tomorrow. Thanks for looking.

7. BARNFIND

BARNFIND Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I know other people have offered but...I have a perfect roof that you can have for free if you have some way of getting to you place. I am in east Tennessee. SS350 guys have to stick together!

[​IMG]

8. spons

Wow, thanks for the offer. I think I'm set, though. I'm picking up a repop roof skin next weekend from Camaro Central and Rob has me taken care of with the inner roof. He can cut me only what I need so it can travel UPS.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  9. Done Yet?

Done Yet? Veteran Member

Looks like your off to a good start on your roof project Andy. I just sent you a few pics of the inner roof. Rob

10. spons

Wow, I didn't realize how long it's been since I posted anything. I've been disassembling, which isn't very interesting to look at. I picked up an AutoTwirler out at their factory in Gossport a few weeks ago. It's a new model that bolts together so it can be taken apart and moved in a station wagon instead of a pickup truck.

I also put up some neat storage shelves that are suspended from the ceiling to store all the lighter parts. I have most of the big heavy stuff like seats, rear end, subframe, etc. on the top of my lift.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyway, today I started working on the roof so I lowered the car onto jack stands while still supporting it on the Twirler mounts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I thought that I would do a flange, but the subroof has so many ridges I was forced to butt-weld. I had previously removed the subroof from the section of roof that Rob sent me. On the drivers side I decided to start the patch at the plate that the visor connects to so I'd have a reference and thicker metal to weld into.[​IMG]

On the passenger side it was a lot trickier since I decided to replace the subroof into the pillar and all the way to the side edge of the roof. I had to first peel the skin off the pillar. Then I did some measuring and left a little extra on the car so I could grind-to-fit. I actually fit this side first, and then the driver side.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is where the patch starts in the "gutter" on the passenger side.
    [​IMG]

Here's what I cut out.
    [​IMG]

I'll hopefully get the seam in the middle fitted tomorrow and maybe tack the whole thing in.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010