My '70 Forest Green SS 350

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by spons, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Done Yet?

Done Yet? Veteran Member

Andy take your time fitting your patch, A good fit will ensure a good end result. A nice tight seem will also make your welding go alot easier. Being you have access to both sides of your repair, you can take a piece of copper tubing squash it flat in a vise and then attach it to the underside of your weld seam, this will help absorb some heat and help with blo-throughs.
    Looks like your fit is real good so far, keep up the good work. Im glad to see another part of my donor is helping fix another car. Rob :bowtie:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  2. spons

spons Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I finally got the inner roof patch from Rob fitted and tacked in.
    [​IMG]

The rest of my progress has been boring stuff like cleaning up the underside. I don't want to grind and make a mess in my garage, so I have been using various size wood chisels, oven cleaner, orange cleaner, scuff pads, and a ton of paper towels.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The firewall officially shows the color was forest green.
    [​IMG]

I've been doing the same kind of cleaning inside, too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have a few more spots to clean, but as soon as I'm done with that I'll be welding up all the holes in the body and patching the floor, front cowl, inner roof near the back window, and I think I may end up replacing the entire tail panel. Stay tuned.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  3. Done Yet?

Done Yet? Veteran Member

Man a few of those inside pics bring back memories, Feels like yesterday ( It Was LOL):screwup: No need for me to say how much a PITA the inside was. Looks like you almost have it licked Andy. Your inner roof patch is looking good, looks like you got it to fit real nice. Must be nice rolling the car over to work on the underside, That is the next thing on my to do list. How will you be finishing the underside Andy?
    Over all looks like the floors are in great shape. Keep up the good work man.
    Rob

4. spons

Rob - thanks for the encouragement. I tacked the roof patch in and that went great, but then the next day I started filling in the gaps on top and nothing went right. When I initially tacked it in, I had the settings and technique just right for the thin metal on top, but then after I had cranked the current and wire speed up to tack the pillar, which is much thicker, I lost the settings and the touch. So I'll let it sit for a few weeks until I'm ready to do welding 100% of the time.

I was a little bummed tonight when I unexpectedly ground through the floor under the rear seats. When I see rust I grind it down. If there are going to be holes I want to find them now as I want to get all the patching done by spring. Thank goodness that's the last of it (maybe). I've already ground the rest of the rusted areas on the floor and in the trunk and no holes developed.

I am lucky that the AutoTwirler place is within an hour from my house. If I didn't have it I would not be able to work on the car at all, since it would not fit in the two-car part of the garage along with my wife's car and our junk.

I'm going to prime the underside with black Kirker epoxy primer and then topcoat with Kirker Hot Rod Black single stage urethane. I'm going to use the same primer on the interior and trunk, and then finish the trunk with some spatter paint from The Parts Place.

5. spons

Here are some additional reasons a tail panel replacement will probably be added to my to-do list.

A few holes around the passenger side tail light.
    [​IMG]

The lower part of the tail panel where someone previously drilled about 100 holes to pull out a series of dents. The panel now flexes kind of like the bottom of one of those tinfoll pans you use to cook a turkey at Thanksgiving.
    [​IMG]

6. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Man car looks pretty solid

7. spons

Back from the dead. Here are a few pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Crap.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  8. spons

Yesterday I blasted the NOS fan I got from a Nasty member and today I painted it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also installed the exhaust manifolds and TCS sensor. And finally got the motor mounts to line up.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. LtRsZ

LtRsZ Veteran Member

Did you take some chrome valve cvr hold downs and dip them is rubber tool dip?

10. spons

They are plug wire separators and the normal chrome valve cover hold downs fit on top of them.
    [​IMG]