My 70 RS/SS 350

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by John Wright, Feb 19, 2008.

1. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Broke down and downloaded VE live tuning and within minutes of the download, I was idling at an afr of 13.3 or so. I played all day yesterday trying to get my idle out of the 10.5-11.2 range. VE auto tuning slashed the tables way down....I just wasn't taking enough out to make any difference. I was afraid to get too far away from the original tables to where I couldn't get it running again if it quit. From now on, I need to "save as" before making any changes, then I can reload the old tune, if I mess up.

2. John Wright

I gotta say.... "bewst" is addictive

3. John Wright

4. John Wright

5. green 1977

green 1977 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

its coming along nicely John!!

John Wright likes this.
  6. John Wright

Been driving the car to get parts for my son's blazer and on short hard rips...trips (10 miles or so). It has been doing pretty good. I need to keep fine tuning the VE tables, spark tables, and AFR tables.....I had it die at the stop light once it got to 200F in heavy, slow traffic. The fans came on at 200 and the temp dropped like a rock, so the radiator/fan combo seems to really work well. I need to add a block off plate in the firewall where I removed the A/C box....that turbo is quite the heater. I need to wrap all of that exhaust tubing. I expect I may have been heating my fuel lines and contributing to the idling issues at the stop light. I replaced the alternator as the one I had was only putting out 12.1 volts and it really woke up the car once it started seeing 14 volts. Still working on small odds and ends to iron out this thing. But the boost has been fun.

green 1977 likes this.
  7. John Wright

Finally had a friend ride with me to watch the laptop closer and I was able to mash on it pretty good through the gears. WOT it revs to about 4k and breaks up pretty good, my buddy verified that it's running instantly lean during this even though the AFR table is trying to command a richer ratio. I think I may need to run larger fuel lines than my 3/8" lines from the tank to the front, because if I get into boost at half throttle it pulls really strong, spins the tires in any of the 6 gears for as long as I hold the throttle in that position...and if I have nerve enough to try to hold it straight at those speeds. This is around 4-5 psi of boost. So I need to figure out the popping lean issue before making any WOT blasts.

8. green 1977

green 1977 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

still sounds like fun, John... hopefully you can get the bugs out... then give wifey a ride in it ;)

9. clay's70

clay's70 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Glad it's coming along!!

10. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The turbo is quite the heater, I could feel the difference in mine with air getting pulled in through the shifter before I fixed the boot. Everything else was sealed and it was crazy the amount of hot air being pulled in through the small hole.

In regards to the fuel lines: Let me double check mine it's been a while but I believe I'm still using the stock 3/8 line with no issues. I put a fuel gauge inline by the intake and we wired it to the megasquirt so fuel pressure is available and being logged. I have the parts list for the fuel pressure sender if you need it, I think it's about $20-$30 on Amazon. It came in super useful for me when we had a fuel issue that turned out to be a problem with how I set up the baffle in my stock tank.

With the fuel lines heating up you may want to consider a stainless shield of some type versus wrapping the exhaust. I can't say for sure but I've been told wrapping it can cause cracking at the welds because excessive heat is being trapped. I used stainless sheet metal I had to make shields for the alternator and a couple areas of concern. If works really well and I haven't had any issues.

I'm glad your starting to get a chance to enjoy it!