My 70 RS/SS 350

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by John Wright, Feb 19, 2008.

1. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

yes please! I was sitting here is morning thinking about how to log the pressure when boost starts building. I had the tank full and have the efi tank with the fuel bucket/baffle, so I don't think that is my issue with going lean. I just hope I haven't hurt the motor. There was a crazy amount of oil smoke when slowing down after a pull. I don't think the -10 oil drain can take all of the oil fast enough and it's pooling in the turbo.

2. hoppin5478

hoppin5478 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

No worries John, here is the link to the sender. It's a factory Dodge oil pressure sender and has worked great for about 3 years now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DCC5KM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used this barbed fitting to put it inline but I'm sure you could do it with some an fittings if you didn't want to use any soft line.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00093CL3M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The smoke on decel does sound like some oil blew through the turbo but I'm pretty sure I'm running -10 returns on mine with no issues. Sorry the car isn't here right now so I can check. My brother has it and is working out some small bugs for me so I can try to have it ready for a show next weekend. If it didn't do anything crazy in the logs your probably in good shape. I really hope it's all ok and you can figure it out relatively easily.

3. John Wright

I just checked my fuel pressure with just the key on...ugh. The regulator has backed off to 40 psi. It's missing pretty good right now and all of the header tubes have heat in them, so I am pretty worried right now. I need to pull the plugs and check for aluminum. Wish I had a boroscope to peek inside while I have the plugs out.

4. John Wright

Plugs were wet. May have been from setting the fuel pressure though. But man, this thing is a smoker now. Something is up in the oil control department. There is now oil coming out of the airfilter side of the turbo, so I'm thinking a seal is gone in the turbo.
    On a positive note, the lean miss is gone while making boost. It pulls past where it was breaking up. But it really smokes now. I know I need a catch can but this smoke is something that just started after taking that ride with my buddy and running it hard through the gears. So I'm wondering about a ring or ring land now. I think I need to go puke now. :-(

5. John Wright

Well, I can't put my hands on my compression gauge. I'm wondering if I got it back when I let someone borrow it.

6. John Wright

Found my compression gauge and my fears about the engine were correct.
    Compression readings
    [​IMG]

7. green 1977

green 1977 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

CRAP!!! That sucks John.... cant remember, did you rebuild that engine once already

8. John Wright

Yeah Harry...this engine has less than 2500 miles on it....less than 50 miles with a turbo. I hope I can get the motor back out pretty quickly and investigate. I hope the block is OK so I can hang some new pistons on the forged rotating assembly and get it back together quickly. I hope to get a few things done while the engine is out. I have a really small oil leak at the tailshaft to body of the T56 transmission that I want to get sealed up. I also need to swap the clutch out for something that will hold the power that this turbo is making. I hope to clean up the oily mess that I've made this past weekend. I went from a completely dry motor to one that has oil seeping everywhere in one weekend....and I need to open up the ring gaps a little more.

9. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Wow, I've missed a lot here.

Sucks to hear about the engine issues. That's a lot more work on your plate now.

I see you went Megasquirt. I'm still slaving away on OBD1 for my daily hot rod. It's a lot more of a pain in the ass since I put a cam in it!

John Wright likes this.
  10. John Wright

OBDI...ugh, I dealt with that for way too long. The Megasquirt takes some reading the manual to figure it all out, but I think it has great potential. I really like the autotune features in Megalog Viewer to get the VE tables ironed out while you drive.