My 71 is missing a piece of the ignition key housing

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by dave@ztech, Jan 14, 2019.

1. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sorry for that crap description , I noticed the other day, finally got car out of body shop, when I went to start the car, the silver piece , with the two ears on it is missing , so whne I turn the key all the pressure is on the key, and I don't want to break off the key in the ignition , does that part come off, well I know it comes off, I guess what I am asking is how do I go about, finding that piece and putting it back on?
    Thanks

2. x77-69z28

x77-69z28 Veteran Member

It should just pop back on.

3. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

That piece is not supposed to come off. I’m looking at a brand new lock cylinder have for my steering column and that piece is crimped on. Buy a new lock cylinder and install it.

4. dave@ztech

I was hoping to avoid replacing it, are the old ones crimped on as well?

5. Green hornet

looking at my old one it's crimped on also. I don't know if it's original but it sure is crimped on better.

6. dave@ztech

Crap, well I wasn't looking forward to all of the rigamaroll to get the old one out, I guess I will wait until I install the tilt steering I bought for a member here, and just deal with all of it then, just how the damn key doesn't break before I do that HAA HA, thanks for looking Green Hornet !!

7. Green hornet

Replacing it is fairly simple. Pull the wheel and lock plate. remove the turn signal cam. Remove the cylinder lock bolt or press the tab depending on the year and it's out. It would save the troubles of breaking off the key.

dave@ztech likes this.
  8. Ote

Ote Member

The hardest part for me in getting the cylinder lock removed was removing and reinstalling the snap ring that holds the lock plate. I did use a compressor tool, but it was hard to get the ring out of its slot all the way around. Used a couple of small screw drivers to do it. Everything else was straight forward. Of course, my key minder buzzer stopped working after I installed the new cylinder lock for some unknown reason. Guess that could be good news or bad, depending.

9. dave@ztech

Yes I have seen the struggle of getting that ring off, not looking forward to it, HAA HA

10. Green hornet

It’s not that bad. Use a small pick to dislodge the end of the clip from the groove. Then slip a small screw driver under it working around the perimeter. The hole thing should take about an hour.

Dave Nelson likes this.