My 71 - LS Swap, This Car Better Love Me!

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Dcmusch, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Dcmusch

Dcmusch New Member

I've always loved Camaro's and my dream car for as long I can remember was my uncles 67 Camaro. Its been sitting in a field since 2000 dropped off from where it lived in my grandpas garage the 2 decades before that. No matter how much I pleaded vowing never to sell the car I couldn't talk him out of it. So my search began and I bought this car in August of 2014. I was really excited about it and started researching what I wanted to do it. I really enjoyed the 95 z28 but it was time to move on so I sold it to buy the drive train for the 71.

IMG_4210.JPG
    The day I brought the 71 home

Decided on an LS Swap and bought the drive train out of 2000 trans am. First thing was to freshen up the motor.

fullsizeoutput_f7a.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_f7c.jpeg

IMG_1043.JPG

fullsizeoutput_1002.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1001.jpeg

Took a couple try's with the motor mounts but we finally got it in.

2. Dcmusch

Dcmusch New Member

IMG_1222.JPG

I was working out of town for a couple years so this process took a lot longer than I wanted.

I started collecting new parts though, my wife was thrilled when all the boxes started showing up.

Exterior trim
    Grille
    Badges
    Lights
    Chrome
    Windshield
    Weatherstripping
    Cowl Hood and hardware
    Door handles
    Locks
    Dash
    Autometer Classic Muscle Gauges
    Tanks inc, fuel tank
    Brake Lines
    Brake Booster/Master Cylinder
    AAW Wiring Harness
    Custom Stand Alone Engine Harness
    Headers
    Pypes 3" Stainless Exhaust
    Steering Wheel
    Interior Plastic
    Headliner
    Carpet
    Trunk liner
    Lokar Shifter
    Console
    Vintage Air

Pretty good start, I'm sure I forgot some but all the parts are sitting in the space in the garage where the car will eventually live. I looked around for a long time to find a painter. I talked to several and of course couldn't get a quote. I finally settled on a guy about an hour from my house, he does mainly classic cars and always a bunch of cool ones there. Of course with that comes money and time. I dropped it off in last summer but he had several cars already in from of me in line. In October I was finally done working out of town so I could put some pressure on the guy to get my car started.

Now for the sad part....

What I thought was a decent body, I knew it needed some work around the windshields and the previous owner did a lousy job of replacing the floor pans. Now the moment of truth, he was going to strip the car down to the bare metal and see what we had to work with.

IMG_5571.JPG
    Some of the images you are about see are graphic.....lol

IMG_5568.JPG

IMG_5569.JPG

IMG_5748.JPG

All I can do is try to make the best of it now.

Attached Files:

3. Dcmusch

Dcmusch New Member

Now came the decision to spend some real money on the car. There won't be any hidden issues with the car and the bodywork and paint will be awesome.

IMG_4349.JPG
    IMG_4350.JPG
    IMG_4351.JPG

Epoxy Primer to seal the metal so he start all the body work.

Full right quarter
    Passenger door skin
    Lower driver quarter
    Trunk lid
    Rear panel
    Trunk pan
    Full Floor pan

IMG_5990.JPG

IMG_5991.JPG

So I decided we were this deep in it and might as well make it really nice. He went ahead and pulled the body off so we could paint the subframe and smooth the firewall.

IMG_6290.JPG

IMG_6291.JPG

IMG_6292.JPG

Tomorrow I'm headed over to the shop so we can look at a couple things before gets started piecing some of the metal back together.

4. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Welcome aboard. Saving another 71. Quite a shopping list. Looks like a projectile punched its way through the passenger door. Hope she does not turn into a Christine.

5. Tony Lane

Tony Lane New Member

Can't wait to see how it turns out.

6. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

As Chuck said, great to see another 71 getting some love and attention!! Who is doing your body work for you? I may have to get someone else to do mine now that it looks like I'm going to be working over in China for most of the next few years. I had been thinking of trying to do it myself but I'm not going to have time to do it properly and still get it done in the time frame I want it done in.

7. Dcmusch

Dcmusch New Member

Its at Xtreme Street Customz, the owners name is Andy. His shop is north of New Braunfels off of 35. Let me know if you want me send you his number. He takes a while but from what I've seen he puts out nice cars. He's not going to cover up anything and it will be done right. Let him know I sent you, maybe I'll get a discount, lol.

8. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks, that would be great if you could give me his number. Do you know how busy he is?