My 71 RS Suspension/Autocross Upgrades.

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by 71RS350, Jul 31, 2010.

1. 71RS350

71RS350 Moderator Staff Member Gold Member

starting my seats and harness project this weekend..looks like going be working on it over next week...had order new seat and belt bolts..about order my schroth harness by end this week...at moment just got temporary in there and the seat sits way to high...but IT IS on the highest setting...still got 2 adjustment holes which i plan to adjust after i get it bolted in with the new bolts from camaro central..i believe it should sit alot better once adjusted...soo stay tuned!...first, i wanted a better finish on my mounting bracket soo....i shot couple coats of eastwoods underhood black...i really like the shade black...got that painted....then today got the sliders on and mounted the bracket.....i probably would had it installed and adjusted it i didnt need new bolts...couple old bolts were little rusted and i figure i go ahead a slip some new ones in there...and put new belt bolts in since i going running that new harness...

soo i currently waiting on the bolts which should be here in 2-3 days.....with goodguys autocross charlotte coming in 5 weeks got alot to do....busy!

BEFORE: the way came out box...

[​IMG]

After: Shot of paint

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stock LEFT vs Procar Sportsmen RIGHT:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Finally,got adjust the seats to lower adjustment hole....cause my hair is touching the roof lol

[​IMG]

2. sidewayz71

sidewayz71 Veteran Member

It looks like you can buy a half inch or so by cutting the mount tabs off the brackets and welding on some flat bar. Also, I have a buddy who removed some foam from the lower panel to get some headroom.:mad: Its always something! Good luck in Charlotte.

3. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Good luck I think those seats look good but they suck to ride in I know I had a set in my 69 nova

4. 71RS350

my bolts come in wednesday..soo we'll see how they turn out....i like a stiffer seat for some reason i dont like soft seats lol

5. david.carlton@s

david.carlton@s Veteran Member

I think I've seen folks cut those mouting tabs off too and re-weld them. Would be interested in knowing how you work this out. I'm 6'2" and was a little afraid to go aftermarket. Even my restored OEM seats with new foam sit a little high. I had to move them back 1.5" too. I thought about going with Recaro's or Cobra's but I'm not sure. i tried some ProCars at SEMA last year and liked them too.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  6. 71RS350

yea i kinda interested to see how much lower it goes with the adjustment holes...should see tommorrow when my new bolts come in

7. Venom73

Venom73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Seats look great

8. Ravenous70

Ravenous70 Veteran Member

I had to get the tabs rewelded, then use spacers to clear the hump so the seat would move back and forth over the carpet....pain in the ass.

9. 71RS350

yea i'm getting it close to where i want it....had do some modifying on the sliders where mounts to the the mount itself....pics tommorrow...

10. 71RS350

got my seat bolted in....i'm overall satisfied with it....and got alittle more head clearance..had to cut the seat sliders to clear the floor for some reason ...it blends pretty well into stock interior...about order my 4 pt harness either today or tomorrow....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]