My 72 454...

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by GREEDY72, Feb 3, 2011.

1. GREEDY72

GREEDY72 Veteran Member

I purchased a 72 r/s about a year ago and am I am waiting for body shop I will be using to fit me into their schedule. They will be doing the outer sheet metal work for me...quarters, roof, and trunk pan...

Question: How in the world to I post pics to this site, not a computer wiz so it is kinda kickin' my tail. I upload them but it tells me that they are too large...any help would be great..

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  2. GREEDY72

GREEDY72 Veteran Member

[​IMG]

3. GREEDY72

GREEDY72 Veteran Member

hahaha got it...and yes I have been talking to myself here...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. GREEDY72

GREEDY72 Veteran Member

so then as much as I hated not being able to see it as a whole car again for a while I started to tear it down...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. GREEDY72

GREEDY72 Veteran Member

I then started to chemically strip the car down as far as I could prior to taking it to a shop to have it walnut shell blasted..needles to say I found some ugliness under all that paint...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]sorry about the photo angles..it was parked in the garage against the wall when I took them so only had access to one side.[​IMG][​IMG]

6. GREEDY72

GREEDY72 Veteran Member

some extremely heavy pitting where I asume the original vinyl top was as well as crazy amounts of bondo on lower quarters...also the previous owner something really weird by tack welding a roof skin over the existing roof...

7. GREEDY72

GREEDY72 Veteran Member

the roof issue I mentioned[​IMG][​IMG]

8. GREEDY72

GREEDY72 Veteran Member

next was to load her up and get her to the blast shop...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]and off we go...

9. GREEDY72

GREEDY72 Veteran Member

back home fresh from the blast shop and the truth was exposed...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]so at this point I have decided to replace both quarters, misc patches and roof as well as the front fenders and trunk pan.

10. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

The V top really killed thsat car at one time. With all the bad damage to the upper 1/4's and the moderate rust in the lowers,and the mess of the roof,I say it is worth putting 2 full 1/4's and a roof skin on. The car looks solid in all the other places so it would be a shame to write the shell off. It will be worth it when it is done.