My ACC carpet sheds

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by Chuck71RS, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I bought ACC cutpile by the yard after returning the poor quality ACC molded.

The by-the-yard is covered with carpet clumps. Brushing my had over the carpet, I get more clumps. The molded set did not have this problem

2. NYLongshot

NYLongshot Member

Is ACC the best place to get the carpet? Are there any alternatives? Id like to get the molded carpet but the reviews are certainly mixed..........

3. Rick@NPD

[email protected] Veteran Member

ACC is pretty much the monopoly these days. Over the years, they've pretty much purchased/absorbed all of their competitors.. Regarding "shedding", I don't think the carpet really sheds.. I think it's just the residual "mess" left from the actual cutting/shaving process (i.e. "cut-pile"). When they mold the carpet, they might go to the trouble to quickly vacuum much of that away. But when you buy by the yard, you're just getting the raw material as it comes off the roll. I've been selling cut-pile carpets all my life, and I always remember them coming out of the box with plenty of loose fuzz everywhere. Once installed, one good and thorough pass with the vacuum, and you should be good to go.

BillyDean7173 likes this.
  4. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I used molded ACC in my 72.I had a slight fitment problem due to the 4 speed hump in the floor.If only they wouldve left a little extra,lol.No need to cut it so tight.

5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

You do know that there is a different carpet for 4 speed to accomodate the hump? Auto carpet is different because it doesn't have the hump.

6. Rick@NPD

[email protected] Veteran Member

Yes, we sell the ACC carpet for automatic and standard shift, as the tranny tunnel molds are different.

7. SteveUK

SteveUK Member

Just received my ACC, via Camaro Central, shipped to UK, took it out of box to help the folds relax, and notice no cut out for the auto floor shift, I though ACC's came with this part cut out. I ordered the right one, but on the box it says without. God knows where I'm gonna keep it until I'm ready to fit, I think my wife might have a suggestion, lol

20200203_114410.jpg

20200203_115253.jpg

20200203_115141.jpg

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  8. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

My Son replaced the carpet on his '80 some years ago. We put in a new ACC carpet, but I don't remember if there was a cutout for the shifter. You should be able to use your old carpet as a pattern to cut the opening on the new one however so you get it the same size and in the same position.
    http://nastyz28.com/2gcog/stegmiller/garage.htm

SteveUK likes this.
  9. SteveUK

SteveUK Member

When I said my wife might have a suggestion where to put the carpet, I wasn't expecting this
    20200208_132639.jpg the spare room, she was never this helpful with Supra parts, lol

xten likes this.
  10. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

At least she didn't put you in the spare room. Been close to that a couple times around here over the years.

SteveUK likes this.