My Bad Luck I can use some help.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by crazypurgatory, Sep 5, 2010.

1. crazypurgatory

crazypurgatory Veteran Member

Friday I'm pulling out of Lowe's and my 97 Z28 starts stumbling like the OPT Spark is going bad then it dies on a small bridge.
    I was able to push it off and to the side.
    It would not start the battery was low so I let it sit for an hour.
    I cam back and checked it for fuel presser and got nothing did not hear the pump kick on.
    There is a plug to run power direct to the pump when I did that the plug was grounded so the pump is bad.:(
    55 bucks to get it home cheapest good pump I can get is going to be 80 bucks and around 5 days away if I'm lucky.
    I will be replacing it with the same brand pump I put in it 2 years ago.
    My problem is like every camaro the fuel gauge does not read right.
    It was reading right above E a little less than 1/8 of an inch away from the red line.:(
    This is the forth time I ran it out of gas so I'm sure that's why the pump died.
    Is there some way to make the Gauge read a little lower then it is right now.
    If I'm able to do that I might be able to get it to read better so that when hits E there is still enough gas in the tank to cool the pump.
    I replace the fuel pump the right way the long way dropping the tank so it's a big job that I don't want to do a third time.
    I just never got the ideal of being lazy and cutting a hole in your car and a big hole at that.
    If anybody has any ideas on how I could get the gauge to read better please let me know.

2. SupplySgt

SupplySgt Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

When I had my 4th gen I never let it go below 1/4 tank if I could help it. I don't know anything you can do unless you get an aftermarket gauge and that depends on how accurate the sending unit itself is.

3. ProStreet383

ProStreet383 Veteran Member

Sounds like money is tight and that's why you want a super cheap pump but the problem is you really do get what you pay for when it comes to these pumps. There is nothing wrong with the gauge it is the cheap sending unit on the cheap pump sending the wrong signal to the gauge. If its not an acdelco or Delphi pump then its no good.

$279 for acdelco pump at rock auto

You can also cut a hole in the trunk to access the fuel pump. Look it up on ls1tech.com

4. High Country Z

High Country Z Veteran Member

I don't trust the gas gauge in my gmc cargo van. Every time I fill up I reset my trip odometer to zero so I know how long it's been since I filled up. At roughly 20 mpg I know how much gas I still have.

5. Dirt Reynolds

Dirt Reynolds Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My 1994 Z28 had an accurate fuel gauge, I never had it run out of fuel on me.

6. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Might check when you get the pump assembly out for a corroded connector at the top of the tank. Not sure on this exact car but many GMs have a plug in connector inside the tank at the top that gets corroded from condensate that forms inside the tank. Worse when the tank is not often filled up. Corrosion on this plug in would cause the pump to not run and the gas gauge to not read right. And, I'd cut the hole in the rear floor. Make an hour job out of an all day job.

7. ZS10

ZS10 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Especially if you're going to put another cheap pump in it. There's lots of options for pumps $60 and up, search Summit.

8. angel71rs

angel71rs Veteran Member

9. crazypurgatory

crazypurgatory Veteran Member

Wow now I do respect every body's ideas but why put a rather big hole in your car if you don't have to?
    As for the pump I don't believe it was at fault I did say that I ran it dry 3-4 times because of the gauge reading wrong.
    I'm sure you all know that's not good for the pump because the gas helps cool the pump off.
    The sending unit is the stock AC Delco one.
    I will check all the contacts that makes sense if there was some corrosion on them it would read high.
    I'm surprised other people here don't have problems with there fuel gauge.
    I have a 71 Camaro,88 Firebird and my 97 Z28 and all of them reed a little off.
    And I have also read that this was very common.
    In any case I'm going to drop the tank I seam to have nothing but time so.
    It's not too bad of a job I'm going to see how long it takes this time.
    I'm thinking about doing away with the pump in the tank but I don't have any room to mount a external pump up high only below the tank.
    Plus if I could get the gauge to read E when there is enough gas in it to cool the pump I would be in good shape that's the way it should be.

10. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

A good pump can be run dry without killing it. Heck the Walbro 255 pump I just bought came with a spec sheet that says it is rated to be run dry continuously for up to 5 minutes!!