My Barn Find

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Termin8r, May 22, 2010.

1. Termin8r

Termin8r Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks!
    Been driving the car as often as possible and after reading the suspension section, I decided that my gas shocks were not the right fit for me.
    Summit had a sale on Bilsteins, so I bought a set and am extremely happy with the performance and ride. Great investment for a driver.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

roadrace2 likes this.
  2. Termin8r

E1BD1330-6CC3-41D4-BD9F-264FCD7992DF.jpeg
    A couple of years ago, put 13” Corvette brakes on the front and 17” wheels and tires all around.
    I have most of Keith at Customworks’ 2G suspension on it, including the adjustable upper A arms, and am really happy with it.
    Then started tracking the car with a local club. No money for paint, but
    I drive the crap out of it, the way God intended. Lol.

mrfleet12 and roadrace2 like this.
  3. Termin8r

31468329-1B9D-44A2-8822-62BEDFA81CA2.jpeg
    Put the F.I. tech system on.
    It works pretty well, but my engine guy is a master and it was tuned so well with the carb, the only improvement was cold starting, and just by a little bit. I drive the car too hard to monitor mpg anyways. Lol

Jodi likes this.
  4. Termin8r

Put in a McLeod MC5 5 speed tranny. I left the Muncie four-speed shifter ball on the shifter so nobody can tell, LOL.

I like it, but a couple years of track duty/road racing, and the synchros are out.
    It’s actually at McLeod right now getting rebuilt.

5. Termin8r

5CB1D0FD-EC5F-4694-8942-2A4C56A48D06.jpeg 8B0A8EF1-C587-4DEF-8E34-8FE96018A5B8.jpeg
    I was getting excessive pressure from the power steering box on the track, so I needed to make a reservoir/vent for it. I got an extra cap and drilled some holes in it. Attached an extension (radiator hose) with a foam breather inside of it and have wired it down in case it comes loose. It’s been working well for many hours on the track.

dave@ztech and roadrace2 like this.
  6. Termin8r

BFE3F426-E183-4475-8279-F1D89A07F6C5.jpeg
    Put 18” Ridlers on it from Keith at Customworks and Toyo R888R’s.

mrfleet12 and roadrace2 like this.
  7. f-body freak

f-body freak Veteran Member

Cool updates. I just found this thread & read the whole thing. Neat story & history. Didnt think you'd end up where you did when it started, but you said you wanted to drive it. Driving something on a road track sounds very interesting. Not as easy as showing up at a dragstrip I would imagine, but the experience seems like it would be alot more exhilarating. If that's the right word. Never worried much about going down a dragstrip, but when you throw right & left turns into the equation that's a whole nother ball of wax...

8. Termin8r

Thanks!
    Yeah, road racing is a blast and it really tests all of the car, plus you and your skills.
    Drag racing is fun, but it's all over in just a few seconds. When you track, it's 20 straight minutes at a time of pushing your suspension, your tires, your brakes, your engine, your transmission and yourself while going 90 miles an hour just a few feet or sometimes less from another car.
    I highly recommend it!

flht99b likes this.
  9. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

Is it just excessive pressure or is the fluid boiling? I know it can get between 220 and 350 degrees in our cars with the stock pump and prolonged high RPM driving. I am going to put a cooler in mine just in case.
    51XgD9sLNQL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

And a filter with a magnet.
    81Zcs4H1bpL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I saw these online and thought it was a neat idea if you did not want to mount a cooler in front of the radiator. Just splice into the radiator hose.
    31UbbUj0NzL._AC_.jpg

I do like your solution though. It works and virtually free. Ingenuity at its finest!

10. john Gialanella

john Gialanella Veteran Member

Nice Camaro. I like the color, my present Camaro is 1970 SS 396 (402 350 HP). Mine is Camaro gold like yours and has standard front end and low rear spoiler also like yours. It has a TH 400 with 12 bolt 3.31:1 posi rear. I wanted a 4 speed muncie like my first Camaro 1970 SS 396 L-78 numbers matching, but they are hard to find. Have fun with your camaro.
    John.