My Camaro is gone.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by POS71RS, May 21, 2012.

1. POS71RS

POS71RS Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yup. The vacancy in the garage is unsettling.

It's at the body shop. The estimate is that in about 3 weeks and $4000, I'll be receiving my 71 after some panel alignment, blocked, painted with a base/clear, and striped with a satin black stripe.

This is the first time the Camaro has been out of my possession since I was 16. The only work that's been contracted out has been tires and alignment.

...Now to see how much I can get done on the 56 F100 while the Camaro's not home. :bowtie:

[​IMG]

2. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

3 weeks?? AHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHA, you're funny.:D

3. Prototype4342

Prototype4342 Veteran Member

Yikes, paint jail

Not looking forward to that part of my build.

4. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm betting you will have plenty of time to work on the pickup.. lol;)

5. POS71RS

LOL....

hahahaha... both these lines actually made me laugh out loud. The guy was pretty set that it was going to be about 3 weeks. I even told him I wasn't in a rush... but he stuck to it.
    Obviously, a big part of me would love to get it back asap and start putting her back together... but with all the other projects around here... I could honestly use a break. (see if I'm still singing that tune in a month from now. ;) )

6. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Many years ago, in December, I dropped off my white '81 for paint, and minimal (literally a couple of tiny spots) rust repair. He said "about a month," as he had to finish up a couple other things.

I picked the car up in August, a month AFTER transferring back to Norfolk, VA from Maine.:screwup:

7. kdracer73

kdracer73 Veteran Member

My estimate was 2 weeks tops....4 months later ...rush job to finish it for a buddies wedding....

8. mshaeffer

mshaeffer Member Lifetime Gold Member

Is that about the going rate? The $4000? Or is that a "special" price? (friend, relative, side job, etc)
    What did you do if anything to the body before you took it in?
    My car is still the original paint and it looks great from about 40 feet away.
    When ya get up close you can see it needs some rust repair along the bottom of the doors and the lower corner just behind the drivers side door.
    Then repainted the same color and the stripes put back on.
    The best quote I can get is well over $8000.
    Ive never done anything like this, and neither have any of my friends or family, so I really have no frame of reference.

9. POS71RS

If you go to my progress thread, you'll have pictures to show you exactly what I dropped off.
    In short, the bodywork was roughed in. Meaning, where I did repairs, I put filler down, and quickly blocked it. These areas were still rough finished and pinholed so you could see the repair.

All the jambs were painted. I pulled the doors and painted all the door jambs, painted the trunk jamb, and the bottom of the trunk lid.
    The fender-jambs were painted. The bottom of the hood was painted.

In essence, their responsibility will be to leave the body assembled, buzz down the primer I covered everything with (that's not really a requirement, but the shop feels better to work from their own base) lay down a few coats of primer, block sand, then put down the color, clear, and stripes.
    He told me that they will fine-tune the gaps as well; but that was included in the estimate.

I asked very directly of the potential of me getting a phone call that 'something' happened, and that the estimate was getting raised significantly. He was emphatic that he didn't do business that way. He also brought up and suggested 'half now for product, 2nd half at completion'... so he seems fair and upfront.

Oh, and no, not a friend or relative deal. I've never set foot, nor know anyone in the store.

10. Jim Mac

Jim Mac Veteran Member

sounds like you found a painter that didnt study under michelangelo. I think sometimes these shops, (and I understand everybody has differing expectations) thinks everybody is expecting barrett jackson quality. jim