My daughters 67 Camaro project...

Discussion in 'Oklahoma Region' started by CamaroDoc, Apr 25, 2018.

1. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

A few years ago, I gave my daughter a 67 Camaro as a birthday present with the intent of the both of us working on it together. However with her intense focus on her education, she rarely had any free time so the car just sat in storage while I gathered a few parts here and there. We finally came to an agreement that if she continued her diligence in her studies, that I would perform the restification and hopefully have it done by her graduation from college.

Well, that day is just over a year away so I guess I had better get after it. So far her grades have been excellent while maintaining a massive amount of school hours (double major), working a nearly full time job, and buying her own daily driver. Next month, she will begin a summer internship with the US Marshall's Service. I could not be more proud of her...

Here is the car. It's a base model 67 sport coupe that originally came with an inline 6 and a powerglide. The car has apparently been raced up in Kansas and now has a Nova 8 1/2" ten bolt rearend out back and has had a 76 Trans Am front subframe shoehorned into the nose. It also came with a BUNCH of spare parts packed into the interior when we got it. I'll use this thread to document the progress as it comes along...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Smokey15 likes this.
  2. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

We hope to eventually wind up with something along these lines...

[​IMG]

3. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Dig this crazy stitching... We both like it but without the ability to recreate the same effect in the front, we will have to go with something more traditional.

[​IMG]

Some of the parts that came with the car...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Here is the cockpit in all it's awesomeness... :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

We've already picked up an SS hood. I'll have to totally strip it and start over but at least it's solid. We also have two sets of the chrome 68-69 stack inserts for it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have picked up a new set of front sheet metal, a fuel tank, rear spoiler, and numerous small parts along the way. A previous owner hung a new set of quarters and tail panel on it, but did a P1$$ poor job of it so I will have to address that, first thing. Most of this rebuild will be a lot of clean, repaint, and detail work with a few new parts thrown in to replace items I either can't locate or afford. This will be a nice weekend driver, but not a full on show car and there will be very little emphasis placed on maintaining any resemblance of originality.

Of course there will be some decent horsepower under the hood but nothing too extreme. It will get a tweaked 307 SBC similar to the one in my 84 Z-28 project, but with an automatic behind it. Either a TH350 or 700R4, but not sure which just yet. Wish me luck... [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. AllensaurusRex

AllensaurusRex Veteran Member

Awesome! Will be watching your progress. Good luck, and that stiching is awesome

6. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Yeah, we really liked it too, but I think we are going with the black deluxe seat covers with the white stripes...

[​IMG]

7. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

Sweet! Good luck with it!

8. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Veteran Member

Looking forward to your build, Doc. :bowtie:
    Best of luck!

9. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Are deluxe seat frames the same? I thought the rear back is narrower but I don't know about the front seats tracks

10. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Ahh, You're right. I forgot about that. Deluxe interiors had rear armrests and used the same narrower rear seats as the convertibles. I have access to some convertible seat frames but I'm not sure I want to go that way. I'd have to locate the armrest panels too. The buckets are the same. I guess we'll have to go with standard covers or I might try something custom. The seats are still quite a ways off anyway. Our buckets are actually 'Bird seats but the frames are the same. Lots of ground to cover before we get to the interior.