My daughters 67 Camaro project...

Discussion in 'Oklahoma Region' started by CamaroDoc, Apr 25, 2018.

1. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Two weeks ago, I picked up the new trunk pan and the braces that go below it to support the fuel tank. I also ordered a couple hundred bucks worth of knobs, switches, bezels, etc for the dash and a matched ignition, trunk, door, and glove box lock set. Of course I just had to get the Briggs keys... The newer style just wouldn't be right... :rolleyes:

Today I picked up a used Grant wood steering wheel for a whopping 10 bucks. With a little TLC I am pretty sure I can turn this back into a nice piece. I'll have to swap out the Olds horn button for a Camaro one, but that's no big deal... :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

This is very cool and really awesome of you. I'm hoping i can build a car or truck for each of my kids. It will be tough as the first 3 are about 15 months apart. Really overall, that 67 doesn't look too bad. Nice deal on finding the front seats again. That worked out nice. I really dig your 69! It looks pretty Bad Ass!

3. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Thanks. Yeah, I'm thinking the 67 will come together pretty quickly and on a small reasonable budget. With it originally being a 6 cylinder car and all the mods that have already been done, a "restoration" would be insane. I'd rather go the resto-mod route anyway. It's cheaper and my hands aren't tied to using "correct" parts.It will be a fun street machine in the old school tradition. I'm looking forward to surprising some folks with the modified 307...

I'm hoping to see some major progress on the 69 this summer, too. It needs some welding done on the chassis (front spring perches), and I have a guy lined up to do it. Once that's done, it too, will come together quickly. But that's for another thread...

BillyDean7173 likes this.
  4. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

It's been a while since I've posted an update on this. I'm still collecting bits and pieces, mostly small, uninteresting items but Wednesday a set of BF Goodrich T/A Radials came my way. They are the right size and mounted on some Pontiac Rally II wheels which I will probably resell even though they would fit the car as well.
    Old school 235/60-R14 tires are not as common as they used to be. The tires are like brand new and I got them for about half what new tires were going to set me back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    71RSLS likes this.
  5. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

Nice score on the tires! That little stuff adds up quick and there is a lot of it needed on a car that is in a million pieces. I have a few of those and feel your pain. :)

6. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Those rally 2s can look good, like on this yenko

images(144)-212x133.jpg

72BIGBLOCK likes this.
  7. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Yes, they can, but I think we are going with the ZJ7 rally wheels on this project just to be a little different but still stick to Chevy parts.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  8. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

The new wiper switch finally came in and I had a used knob in my junk stash. Here are the new door locks with the genuine GM Briggs keys... Got the new trunk lock, ignition and headlight switches, and the headlight relay, too, but they didn't make the photo. Small progress, but progress just the same... :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Not to be a kill-joy, but please check the date on those tires, if you haven't already. They may look great but if they are too old, they could be dangerous. I had a bad experience because I wasn't aware just how old my 'new looking' BFGs were. I'd hate to see that happen to you, or anyone else.

10. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Yeah, that was the first thing I looked at when I first saw them. They do have some age on them but not horrible. I've seen first hand what old tires can do. One of the old tires on the car when I dug it out had let go, just sitting in there. I wouldn't take off on a road trip on these, but for the 40 mph 1.5 mile trip back and forth to the local cruise night, they should be fine. My primary concern at the moment is fit and function. My daughter's job when she graduates will require her to move around the country so I will still be the custodian of the car, here at home...

Smokey15 likes this.