My daughter's Camaro is leaning after the leaf spring job.

ob355

Mar 4, 2022
The drivers side spring is not sitting correctly in the socket. The coils look like they are binding. Could be just old tired springs. The A-arm bushings could also be keeping the arms from extending down. Sway bars can also cause uneven arm height. You have to look at the top and bottom of the springs, they usually crack at the last two to three inches of the spring end. Check the front frame horns for signs of a previous accident. You really need a front end rebuild.

SteveSS

Jan 18, 2016
Colorado Springs
I did the jack stands on the frame rail up front. Therefore taking the front suspension out of the equation. The car still leans. I talked to Husky Springs the manufacturer. They are sending me 1 new spring. I'm supposed to replace the low-side spring and see if that works. I'm out the labor costs. If that doesn't work they are supposed to send another spring.

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
There’s a metal rib across the bottom edge of the urethane nose.

Straighten that out and it won’t look nearly as bad from the front.

If the frame is straight… It probably needs new coil springs up front.

ford2581

Dec 5, 2002
millbrae, ca, us
If there was no lean before the new springs and now there is it’s probably the new springs and has nothing to do with the fronts. I know it’s a lot of work but swap the springs right to left and se if the lean changed to the other side. Leaf springs are fairly easy to swap out, take your time.

Stephen Maggard

Nov 28, 2018
one thing to be sure of is that before you can tighten the rear spring bolts the body weight needs to be on them. Did you tighten the springs while the car was still on the jack, or after the weight had settled?

1fast76

Sep 15, 2022
It sounds like you may have a broken coil on the front-check there first as it seems odd there would be a lean in the front unless there is a broken coil

ez2cdave

Jul 19, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I'm out the labor costs.

Pardon an obvious question . . . If you are doing the work yourself, why are there "labor costs" ?

BTW - If you do the front springs, you will need a spring compressor. Be careful, as a compressed coil spring has a lot of stored energy . . . A dangerous situation, if anything slips !

Last edited:

Cardinal

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 22, 2003
Endicott, NY
Here is what I ran into when I replaced the rear leaf springs on my 79 Camaro Berlinetta: ordered them from a VERY reputable aftermarket Camaro parts place who also had Gen II Nova parts. When I installed the new leaf springs, the shocks would NOT reach! They sent me another pair. Same thing.

Out of desperation, I went to a local spring shop that has been there from just after WWII. They knew IMMEDIATELY what was wrong! I had Chevy Nova leaf spring, NO Camaro leaf springs. The Nova springs are EXACTLY the same dimensions eye to center bolt as the Camaro EACEPT the Nova springs have a 4' greater arch because the Nova weighs more in the back!

Called the Camaro parts place and they knew exactly what was going on: someone had mixed stock of Nova and Camaro leaf springs. I told them that the local spring shop would re-arch the Nova leaf springs to Camaro specifications for $100. They credited my credit card for the $100. Spring shop re-arched the springs. Problem solved.

The Camaro parts place thanked me for being patient (which I was) and for bringing this to their attention as they needed to know that they had mixed stock.

Cardinal

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 22, 2003
Endicott, NY
OBTW, I HATE changing/installing front coil springs! It is DANGEROUS/DEADLY if things go wrong My advice is to pay a spring shop to replace them! Best money I've ever spent on having someone else do something!

Last edited:

Latest posts