My first 2nd Gen Camaro

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Jon Reese, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Jon Reese

Jon Reese New Member

This might be a lengthy post so here goes. I purchased my 1979 Camaro RS in August of 2020. I have been on the hunt for many years and this one popped up very close to home. Actually, my boss took a wrong turn and saw it and told me about it. I was kind of on the fence about looking at it but my wife really pushed me to make the call and meet the guy selling it. She knows how badly I have been searching for one that is in my price range. Long story short, I have someone I know do an inspection on it to make sure its not a pile of rust and work out a deal with the seller. I knew going into this purchase that there were some soft spots in the floor, more on that later. I end up driving the car on the weekends until the cold weather came. I live in Central New York so usually the nice weather is over by the end of October. That is when the fun started. I was having some wonky electrical things happening so I decided to bite the bullet and do a complete rewire using the Painless Wiring harness. So the first thing I did was completely disassemble the interior. That is when I discovered that the soft spots I was anticipating were a little more advanced than I had anticipated. So the rewire job manifested into floor pans for passenger and driver side as well as rear foot wells and rear seat pans. I will let the pictures tell the story of the past 9 months of late nights and weekends. I have an amazing wife that has constantly pushed me to work on the project and continually tells me "if you're gonna do it might as well do it right." I will post some of the photos below of the work that has been done up to this point. Future plans for this coming winter involve possibly recovering the driver seat, it's the only seat with any rips, and maybe doing the door pins on the passenger side. Other than that I will have my friend that is opening his own shop replace the rear driver side frame rail. Enjoy the pictures...

Attached Files:

BillyDean7173 likes this.
  2. Jon Reese

Jon Reese New Member

More...

Attached Files:

3. Jon Reese

Jon Reese New Member

More...

Attached Files:

4. Jon Reese

Jon Reese New Member

More...

Attached Files:

5. Jon Reese

Jon Reese New Member

More...

Attached Files:

6. Jon Reese

Jon Reese New Member

More...

Attached Files:

roadrace2 likes this.
  7. Jon Reese

Jon Reese New Member

More...

Attached Files:

8. fltinstructor

fltinstructor New Member

Man!! You have been really busy. Really nice job you did on the floor. I recently replaced all the same on mine and know how much work that was. I wished I had a wife pushing me. You flew right past my efforts. Really nice car you have.

Jon Reese likes this.
  9. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Great work on the floor pans, insulation and interior assembly! :D

Jon Reese likes this.
  10. mrfleet12

mrfleet12 Veteran Member

Looks like a lot of good work happening there, welcome to the site and the madness.
    Lots of good, knowledgeable people out here.

Jon Reese likes this.