My foam died

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by marauder64ky, May 30, 2008.

1. marauder64ky

marauder64ky Veteran Member

Had a nice original 79 Z28 light blue cloth headliner up until this week. Within the past few days it has fallen down. I took it out, and it looks like the foam is still stuck to the board but the cloth has seperated from the foam. Anybody ever have any luck with a spray adhesive? Doesn't seem like it would work to well to me though. I think you would have a problem with the glue showing through the material. NPD sells a kit where you get knew foam and material and use your old board. $53.00 bucks I think. Anyone done this repair or used this kit?

2. Batman

Batman Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've done both the foam backed headliner (available at most upholstry shops) as well as now an ultrasuede headliner. Both times I used a wire brush to get rid of the old disintegrating foam, and then used spray adhesive to adhere the new headliner to the cardboard backing. Biggest tip is to let the adhesive sit for a minute before gluing the material to it.

[​IMG]

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

^^^ Good info!

The foam disintegrates. It's a messy job but it must be removed.
    (If you tried to reglue the cloth to the foam , the glue would soak through the cloth and look like crap.)

4. 3_z28camaro

3_z28camaro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

What I did for my headliner was use a wire brush to clean the cardboard backing then I got some material from a local upholstery shop. To adhere the two surfaces together a thin layer of contact cement was used on each surface. It turned out really well and has held so far after a year. Hopefully it continues to hold.

5. ineed73parts

ineed73parts Veteran Member

you could vacuum the old foam foam off, it works perfectly, with hardly any mess

6. 73RS

73RS Veteran Member Gold Member

I just helped my apolstry guy do mine not long ago.
    We pulled the cardboard out by removing the interior peices as needed.
    Then as 3 z28 said used a wire brush to get off the old glue and foam from the cardboard.
    He layed out the liner so that half of it was carefully folded over on the cardboard.
    Sprayed that half, both the liner and the cardboard. He uses a spray gun to spray on the adhesive to both the cardboard and the liner, let it sit until tacky then put it on.
    Then do the other half and your done. worked great and actually pretty easy.
    Remember to work it from the middle on out to avoid wrinkles.

7. thepostaljester

thepostaljester Veteran Member

Hanging in the Funhouse full of Evil Clowns
    you need to consider WHY it suddenly fell. Most headliners fail because of excessive moisture in the car from leaks, rust perfereation or a bad heater core. Before you replace the headliner make sure you don't have a water issue first, or you will be replacing it again in a few weeks. Have you noticed any condensation or moisture inside your car reacently?

8. my24ktrat

my24ktrat Veteran Member

I've done both my camaros with that kit , just take out the cardboard headliner, turn it over and use the other side using the spray glue and new cloth , no problems, that way you don't have to scrape notta' , my .02 ,DC

9. 73RS

73RS Veteran Member Gold Member

Most of the failures I have seen occur because the foam has a certain life to it then it fails. I find garaged cars last a whole lot longer than cars that just sit in the sun alot, the heat kills that foam. Inside temps in a car can get over 140 degrees. I find when the foam has reached come to the end of it's life it just starts to crumble and the liner falls quickly.

10. marauder64ky

marauder64ky Veteran Member

Great info guys. Thanks. And no, nothing has changed in the car or the garage recently, but the weather has turned humid in the past few days. I think it just reached the end of its life. Lasted 29 years. Thats probably longer than most lasted.