My hood SUCKS! to open!

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by slayer021175666, May 16, 2018.

1. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

Hood won't pop on its own. I have to reach under and pull the handle while grabbing the hood with my other hand and pulling up on it. 2 handed hood opening sucks! Sprayed oil on the latch. NOPE! Try better alignment. NOPE!
    What am I doing wrong here? Trying to get a 37 year old latch to work? Is it a weak spring? Whole new latch needed?
    UGHH!:mad:

2. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Factory steel hood or fiber glass ? If its a steel hood you need to replace the hood spring.They do wear out.

3. 1972_Z-28

1972_Z-28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

What Zspoiler said.
    I to suffered 2 handed hood opening with my steel hood.

4. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Same thing here....it will pop but catch on the safety latch, then I have to be pulling on the release and lifting the hood to get it open....not sure there is a fix for that. The safety latch is doing its job. Switching to a '78 and before style pull release that is in the upper grill solves the problem, but they are hard to find. When I re-did mine I put a '79 release on because I thought it looked more substantial...went back the '78 after getting tired of having to be a contortionist to open the hood.

5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Everybody knows that the safety latch is supposed to prevent the hood from popping free when the main latch is released, don't you? Then, yes, it is a two hand release of the safety latch to open the hood.
    That old design worked perfectly if left alone and used correctly.

6. aggcamaro74

aggcamaro74 Member

I had a similar issue, but it wasn't the spring. The lip of the hood latch had bent back and was catching on the hook which meant you had to reach in and push the hook off to get it to open.

7. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

It's a 1981 steel hood.
    Confused. Do I need a new spring or is it designed to be a 2 hand operation?
    If it IS DESIGNED to be a 2 hand operation, that sucks!

8. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

If you happen to be using a 78-79 grill....
    A 78 hood release (through the grill) might be worth the $$ of a 78-only part.

(I happen to have an 80 with a 78-79 grill and parted out my old '78. ;) )

9. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It is designed so that if the hood pops a safety latch catches it so it does not blow all the way open. So you need to hold the latch open while you pull up on the hood to get past the safety catch, so yes, 2 handed operation.

As I said and said above, a ‘78 style release that lets you pull the latch through the grill is a very convenient swap. You could also fab something up yourself so you can pull the lever through the grill.

10. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

I have a 79Z so the hood handle is down low. So if i pull it once the hood will pop open due to the hood spring but as long as i have have the hood properly aligned will not open even if i pull on it. second pull on the hood handle and the hood will pop open the rest of the way due to the hood spring. No two handed operation. Same scenario as my firebirds and Nova's