Welcome to another 71 owner. I just went through most of what youre thinking about doing here recently in the last couple years as my car is finally weeks away from being completed after a long 4 years.
I am located here in Orlando Fl and have had my car at FULL BLOWN AUTO in Winter Park fl for the last year as they have been building this for me this past year, but they also have a body shop here near by and do impeccable work. They have a ton more pics on their facebook page but you get the jist.
Hope this helps
Welcome and Good Luck starting on your project.
one of the things people don't tell you about LS swaps is the Cost of all the New parts you will need - Motor Mounts, Tranny Mounts, Wiring, Gauges & New Interior Wiring, Headers/Exhaust, Serpentine System. I bet I have at least $4500 in that stuff alone. Then you have the Vintage Air (I haven't bought mine yet) & Interior.
I am at BMR just East of Tampa - I can help you with Suspension. I wish I had a Body Shop / Painter I could recommend, but I 've been burned by every Paint Huffer around!
What will checking the BORE going to tell you ?I just acquired a 1971 Camaro. its going to be almost a bare bones build.
purchased from a body shop. The owner said no time for it, medical issues, bla bla bla.. anyways.
· It needs some body work. It's a rust free car, they already cut out the quarters and replaced a door skin. Gaps are horrible in the car, the interior is out 1/2 of it came with the car, the other half I need to acquire.
· Has running 327 (I am told 327 I have not popped ahead off to verify the bore yet). Tranny is shot (so I am told).
· Its setup for a manual transmission.
· NoBuild sheet for the car so no clue what it is, there is no sway bar on rear axle.
· Has welded in subframe connectors and traction bars on it.
· Swap to LSx 5.3 or 6.0l ( sell the 327)
· Prefer 4L80 over a manual. I don’t like shifting that much. I am disabled vet. with surgically repaired ankle with a few cadaver parts, so shifting sometimes causes pain.
· Vintage Air AC system.
· I have already purchased an RS front end from classic industries.
· Restore interior
· An amazing paint job. Scared of the cost.
· Swap the brakes to an updated version. No power brake booster on it and that’s not appealing. No matter what, I have to go to power. I would like the 4-wheel disc.
I am open to advise on which directions for it all and will update my steps I am taking.
Here are some pics, enjoy.