My new Beretta LS swap RWD conversion 4.8/5spd

woody80z28

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 8, 2004
walton, ny usa
Did your remove the vats?
Yup. I used TunerPro (an old OBD1 program) and LS-Droid. The donor truck was 4.8/auto/4x4 and I found a tune online that was 4.8/5spd/2wd so I downloaded that, deleted VATS, enabled PE and flashed it with my phone for free.
I did the same thing to enable PE and add some spark to my 8.1/6spd truck.

woody80z28

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 8, 2004
walton, ny usa
I guess all my updates come in the form of videos now...haha

I've been impressed by some of the cheap China stuff, but some of it is definitely junk. You're taking a risk, but I'm still under $1000 for a running LS that will fit under a car hood. I think that's pretty good.

woody80z28

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 8, 2004
walton, ny usa
Ok, I just bought the stuff I need for rear suspension from Barnes4WD and Speedway. Gonna end up doing coilovers instead of messing with the stock style coils, and maybe even a 3link instead of the torque arm I was thinking. The hole for the VSS in the Explorer center section would make a nice spot for the 3rd link. Maybe tap for a heim right there?
o40glxw.jpg

Barnes has threaded poly bushings that I'm going to make the LCA and Panhard bar out of. I got the hex tube ends in LH and RH so they will be easily adjustable on the car, and if my bracket placement on the rear axle isn't 100% perfect it can be squared up.
750-forged-poly-joint-with-fitting.jpg

Speedway has AFCO "hot rod" coilovers for relatively lightweight vehicles that are pretty small overall. And there's enough room to nestle them in. It should work pretty well. I went with 200lb springs that should be about right. I bought them in pieces, but it's basically these with yellow springs. That way the ride height and the spring rate are both easily changeable. There's no adjustability in the shock valving, but the Beretta is gonna be a tire burner. The Camaro will be the competitive one.
106100D_L850_2b1d4e14-377a-49f3-9960-da3d32eecf1e.jpg

woody80z28

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 8, 2004
walton, ny usa
More progress on the Beretta.

The internet can't agree what the center section of the Ford 8.8 is, but after some testing and one good source...I determined it's nodular iron. Also found a way to MIG it successfully with stainless wire. That means I can build my torque arm mount and weld it up. I also gotta weld the tubes to the center section. Don't want to end up spinning the tubes like the Camaro (quick 2008 clip of that failure too). haha

woody80z28

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 8, 2004
walton, ny usa
More rear axle progress! Got the lower control arm mounts trimmed, drilled and welded up. I also lathed my tube ends down to match the .120 tube I'm using for the LCAs and torque arm. Cut all the explorer brackets off and tried to see if I could reuse the shock brackets for coilovers, but that wasn't gonna happen. I need the coilovers a fair amount below the axle centerline, so I found an adjustable mount for cheap! $25 straight from China I'm sure, but it looks like they'll work decent. I'm gonna weld them pretty close to the LCA brackets and weld a brace to span the gap. I picked up "shock mounts" for the panhard bar also. I think that will work out nice. Seems to be coming together, and still looking good on the budget. Probably have it driving for 1/3 the sale price of what I sold my old one for. haha

Xy5dM9C.png

PpRRMCE.png

HyrT7BH.png

OsEgNT6.jpg

Last edited: