My new Beretta LS swap RWD conversion 4.8/5spd

woody80z28

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 8, 2004
walton, ny usa
Yup, I just took the dash and the HVAC out so I can make the firewall cuts I need. haha

It's not quite as big a hole as I thought it would be...but there's still zero chance the HVAC survives. Factory brake booster won't work either, I'm gonna use Wilwood reverse pedals and masters under the dash.

Da-bigguy

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jan 19, 2010
Cypress, TX
I guess all my updates come in the form of videos now...haha

I've been impressed by some of the cheap China stuff, but some of it is definitely junk. You're taking a risk, but I'm still under $1000 for a running LS that will fit under a car hood. I think that's pretty good.

I'm going to be following your build on this big time! I'm looking at getting my Camaro running a lot quicker using a junkyard LS block to get things set up for when I can drop in the originally planned LS7. I'm going to start looking for a suitable engine as soon as I get back onshore! If I can get a running LS for under $1000 that will be awesome!!

woody80z28

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 8, 2004
walton, ny usa
I'm going to be following your build on this big time! I'm looking at getting my Camaro running a lot quicker using a junkyard LS block to get things set up for when I can drop in the originally planned LS7. I'm going to start looking for a suitable engine as soon as I get back onshore! If I can get a running LS for under $1000 that will be awesome!!
The truck engines are an insane bang for the buck. I just bought two more and got em running. Averaging about $300 per running engine. haha

It's in, and this will be final placement - offset to the pass side. Figuring out radiator, fans and hoses. Just bought the Camaro steering rack too. Need to cut the firewall and floor out to fit the trans and weld up the engine mounts. Probably should wash it too. haha
Gotta keep making good progress to get it done before June. haha

YnWLWXZ.jpg

Da-bigguy

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jan 19, 2010
Cypress, TX
The truck engines are an insane bang for the buck. I just bought two more and got em running. Averaging about $300 per running engine. haha

Any tips on what to look for with regards to the engines? Do you pick them up from salvage yards? I was thinking that was where I would start looking for my engine.

woody80z28

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 8, 2004
walton, ny usa
I've actually gotten every one of mine on Facebook market. There's a how-to on Driveway Engineer about pulling them out of a junkyard truck. Or, buy a whole rusty truck, pull the engine, harness and fuse block and part/scrap the rest. Lots of guys have gotten their LS "free" that way...but I just don't have the time or space to do that. And the ones I've bought on FB all run, and I got them for $350, $300 and $200...but one didn't have a harness. So I'd have to grab a harness from the j/y to put it in another project...but I just wanted a spare, since they're all junkyard stuff that I'm gonna pound on.

Da-bigguy

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jan 19, 2010
Cypress, TX
I've actually gotten every one of mine on Facebook market. There's a how-to on Driveway Engineer about pulling them out of a junkyard truck. Or, buy a whole rusty truck, pull the engine, harness and fuse block and part/scrap the rest. Lots of guys have gotten their LS "free" that way...but I just don't have the time or space to do that. And the ones I've bought on FB all run, and I got them for $350, $300 and $200...but one didn't have a harness. So I'd have to grab a harness from the j/y to put it in another project...but I just wanted a spare, since they're all junkyard stuff that I'm gonna pound on.
I hadn't thought of checking Facebook market, I will have to start doing that to see what comes up. My wife would have kittens if I bought an old beat up truck and scrapped it in the driveway, not to mention the HOA would love to write me up for a bunch of violations if I did that!!

Da-bigguy

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jan 19, 2010
Cypress, TX
Ha Ha, HOA>Horrible Old A**holes.
Actually, the HOA where I currently am are pretty decent so far, mostly because they've been controlled by the developer as the community was still under construction. I've had a total of two notices since we moved in 6 years ago, one for my garbage can sitting on the sidewalk too long and most recently a notice about a damaged board on my fence that needed to be fixed as it had a pretty big gap in it that my dog liked to use to check out who was passing by the house. The funny thing is that board had been like that for over two years before I got the notice so they haven't been very diligent up to now. The worst thing was when a relative of a neighbour walking by complained about my MG Midget sitting in the driveway for a period of months, something perfectly allowable. Because it has some rust issue the old cow complained to me when I was outside doing some yard work, saying the hulk sitting there was against HOA rules and was bringing down property values. Because I knew she was full of s%*t with regards to the HOA I just completely ignored her!

Maybe once the actual homeowners get control of the HOA it will become worse but I certainly hope not!

woody80z28

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 8, 2004
walton, ny usa
Oof. I think I'm too redneck for an HOA. I have my stuff out back so it's not visible from the street, but I do have a pair of F350 axles, Jeep lift springs, and 6 37s, along with some spare truck wheel/tires and a tailgate. And my Blazer in the driveway is bad enough. It's registered and insured, so they can't give me poo for it...but it's rusty junk. And it'll look even crazier with the F350 axles and 37s. haha

woody80z28

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 8, 2004
walton, ny usa
Keep plugging away at it. Sawzalled the firewall and floor out to mock up the trans and the 5spd fitment could be better...that's for sure. Working on a solution to that right now.

RzJAylM.jpg

Latest posts