My new Beretta LS swap RWD conversion 4.8/5spd

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
Oof. I think I'm too redneck for an HOA. I have my stuff out back so it's not visible from the street, but I do have a pair of F350 axles, Jeep lift springs, and 6 37s, along with some spare truck wheel/tires and a tailgate. And my Blazer in the driveway is bad enough. It's registered and insured, so they can't give me poo for it...but it's rusty junk. And it'll look even crazier with the F350 axles and 37s. haha
You are my people.

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
must of slipped a little with that saw......the hole under your Baretta should give you just the right amount of clearance NOW...🤣

woody80z28

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 8, 2004
walton, ny usa
More solid progress this week...and a huge upgrade! Screw the budget, I'm going t56 6spd. I mocked up my Camaro trans just to compare and it fits basically perfect. And every single thing about the t56 is better than nv3500...shift feel, strength, aftermarket, gear splits, highway rpm... Just price is the only issue. And it looks like I've found a nice solution to that, buying a Tick Performance level 2 for my Camaro and using the stock Camaro trans in the Beretta. I'll have to swap input shafts, front plates and bellhousings...but well worth it to upgrade both cars at the same time.

Got the motor mounts all done. The subframes will become one piece with a C channel crossbar for the steering rack up front, and a skidplate/brace in the back under the oil pan/bellhousing.
Got my brake math figured out and the Wilwood pedals and Afco masters ordered. Next step is to make them coexist with the steering column.
Bought a rockauto full-aluminum radiator and pushed it forward for some more fan and water pump room. Looks like it will work pretty mint.
Also got the crossmember in and the back half of the raised floor mocked up. Not too far away now! Just trans mount...torque arm mount...front floor...tunnel...pedals...steering...wiring...
EIWZwdj.jpg

ZDywo7E.jpg

7BnYuJe.jpg

fGbFshV.jpg

yh3gZQg.jpg

fJandS7.jpg

woody80z28

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 8, 2004
walton, ny usa
So that 6spd that's mocked up in the Beretta is stolen from the Camaro. Still needed to find another one...and I was able to snag a used Tick Performance T56 built for nitrous! Test drove to make sure it was good and pulled it in the guy's garage. That one will go in the Camaro once I swap it from LS to LT style. I'll take the LS input shaft, front plate, bellhousing, clutch & flywheel and throw them in the Beretta with the stock 94 T56 that I used to run in the Camaro.
Also got the crossmember built and welded in and the torque arm fabbed and installed. So now it's sitting on the suspension and it's a lot higher in the front than I expected. so I gotta figure out some coilover sleeves for the struts with a higher rate and less height. Keeps moving forward though, that's the key.

HTfRrwo.jpg

LlTvomo.jpg

F1gWzFZ.jpg

jequZ09.jpg

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
I sure hope your T-56 does not have the dreaded 2nd gear grind like the ones I have bought that were used and the T-56 sucks to rebuild. Seems from what Tremec told me that's been an ongoing issue with the T-56. Love your build, just wanted to note that for you as it looks like once this is together it might be a PIA to take out when the car is done.

woody80z28

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 8, 2004
walton, ny usa
Yeah, the engine/trans will have to come out the bottom as a pair. I guess that's the price to pay to make it fit where it was never intended. The torque arm kinda sucks to install too.
But I got a ride in the donor 4thgen and 2nd gear seemed totally fine. There were receipts for all new bearings and syncros in 2019 and a new "viper" 2nd gear. That's the trans going in my Camaro...I just ordered the shim kit to swap the inputs and front plates. The T56 going in my Beretta is the one I was running in my 80 and I know that one was fine. Supposedly low mileage (like 40k) when I bought it in 2006.

woody80z28

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 8, 2004
walton, ny usa
Got the stock LT1 trans swapped over to LS style and ready to go in the Beretta. I'm doing a video of that process at some point. You need a shim kit to get the clearance and preload right. This is the second "Beretta" trans to get opened up on that bench...I rebuilt a FWD 5spd years ago. haha
Also got a few things figured out and started final floor installation. Not a ton of progress in the last couple weeks, but it's still going forward. Couple more things came in while I was on vacation in Texas so I can jump back on it.

nUEglr9.jpg

W2dL1LV.jpg

x1iylWD.jpg

Spb97KV.jpg

gpMYVEl.jpg

SLH8DeX.jpg

hFqurdn.jpg

Mike N

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jan 13, 2002
Spencerport, NY.
So that 6spd that's mocked up in the Beretta is stolen from the Camaro. Still needed to find another one...and I was able to snag a used Tick Performance T56 built for nitrous! Test drove to make sure it was good and pulled it in the guy's garage. That one will go in the Camaro once I swap it from LS to LT style.

I've got a T56 from a 94 Firebird I'll probably never use if you're looking for yet another....