My New Mini Truck

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by bkmont, Aug 8, 2021.

1. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

What is an S10 Durango? Never heard of that model.

Nevermind. I just looked it up. Just a different trim level.

2. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

I had an 82 s10. Carb’d 2.8 rwd. It wasn’t gonna win a race but I beat the ever lovin tar out of that little truck. Got pulled over once for noise....officer walks up to the window and says “do you know why I pulled you over?” No sir I know I wasn’t speeding... “because you have an unmuffled muffler.” And I said no sir, it’s not an unmuffled muffler, there’s not one. Fell off a few days ago from the cat back it’s all layin in the bed rotted out. He looks and says he’s gonna give me a fix it ticket...gee thanks. LOL anyway as much as a pos as the little truck was it always started and never not once left me stranded.

chevyJeff1 likes this.
  3. La.Z8

La.Z8 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Looks good! I always liked the early models of the S10-S15`s. Back in the middle 80`s to the late 90`s one of my many part-time jobs, [ Full time firefighter at the time ], was a Security/Safety/EMT officer at the GM plant in Shreveport. One of the plants where they were built.

4. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Had an 82 with that engine, sold it for a full size when it had 198,000 on it, drove it twice from San Diego to Philly 2nd time had over 100,000 on it. This is back in the day when by 100,000 miles you were wondering what was going to break. I never had any real problems with it except transmission. Maybe they fixed it in the later years but I'd get 60,000 miles out of it and have to replace the plastic inserts on the shift forks, would pop (HARD) out of 1st gear, plastic would wear and wouldn't let you get it fully into gear. Relatively easy fix about $5 in parts. Did go through two clutches in it also. By the time I got around to doing the third fix on the trans, I was so well versed in pulling the trans think it only took me 2 to 3 hours and that was in the parking lot of my apartment so I had to run inside to get tools.

5. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

It’s just a novelty for me. My main ride is a Jeep 4 door JK. Don’t know how long I’ll keep it. Sell or trade it. We’ll see.