My project 9 years running.

Peck

Veteran Member
Mar 20, 2018
Tacoma,WA
Working on the diriver side bank of cylinders today. Man, oh man these retainers sure can be a B trying to get them back on.

Peck

Veteran Member
Mar 20, 2018
Tacoma,WA
It has been a labor of love. So many times I have wanted to just slap it together to drive it but I have resisted in order to make it nice.

Hopefully tonight is the night to actually drive it.

Peck

Veteran Member
Mar 20, 2018
Tacoma,WA
So I am reporting back from the first drive all put together.
It mechanically runs awesome, I can’t seem to decide if the hesitation I am feeling is an electrical issue or my car requesting even higher octane fuel. It is currently running 96 octane lead replacement fuel.

The hiccup seems to be sporadic. I figured maybe it was the rev limiter in the 6AL giving me issues as it almost behaved like I was hitting it but only at 5k. I turned that up and that didn’t seem to be an issue. As I drove it more that seemed to stop.

My joyriding for the evening was cut short as one of my rockers sounded like it was out of adjustment, I just did that but I could’ve not spun the crank over twice on one of the pairs of rockers.

However, I am pleased with the sound of the car with the spiral aluminum exhaust.

The first 20 minutes or so of driving I was disappointed in the perceived power I am making. That is until I started heading back home with it and noticed all of the positrac marks along the way I had just taken.

With that all being said, I am pretty well pleased with the car.

Peck

Veteran Member
Mar 20, 2018
Tacoma,WA
It’s been a while, I have been working out the bugs and attempting to dial it in.

My rocker arms were perpetually noisy. So after attempting to adjust them 3 separate times with no difference in the chatter, I purchased some Lunati 1.6 roller rockers.
09631421-5934-4A5F-928C-611F62AA9EEE.jpeg
Today I had planned to swap them out.
B2167FBE-676E-40F4-964B-0EE30BE9E67D.jpeg
04F56D5E-0FFC-420E-9EE5-7A1A924AF21E.jpeg
As you can see they are way beefier then the proform ones currently on the car.

So much beefier in fact they hit my Head Studs...
FAE4AA4A-BB4D-49F7-9C26-CCF193FB6790.jpeg
Any suggestions?

I may just purchase grade 8 flange bolts to replace those center studs.

Peck

Veteran Member
Mar 20, 2018
Tacoma,WA
It has been a while. The build has been struck with disappointment as well as a few windfalls.

A few weekends ago we were getting the cars ready to go to the local car show, our cars are not the prettiest but they are darn fast.
Pulled out the Camaro checked all the valves and did a once over. Pushed her to the side and pulled out the 63 Nova. Adjusted its valves and fired her up.
At this point I turned my attention back to the Camaro, fires her up and she ran terrible! Only firing on 3 cyls according to my infrared thermometer.
Readjusted the valves, swapped plugs, changed plug wires, changed distributors, adjusted timing, finally got all 8 firing. They all fire but runs absolutely terrible, watched the valves while turning her over by hand with the plugs out, I have lost nearly all of my lift due to lifter failure.

Fast forward to the following Monday, I receive a call from Weiand/Holley in regards to my faulty polished Weiand Action plus waterpump. They are admitting fault and shipped me out a Holley Frostbite polished electric waterpump as a replacement free of charge, included a hat to boot!

Now it is Wednesday and I finally get a chance to call Lunati, the rep I spoke with chatted with me for about 45 minutes about my break-in procedure, valve spring pressure, oils utilized, and installation. He is willing to credit the money I spent on this cam kit towards any of their products of my choosing. The didn’t need to do this as Cam failure is dependent on to many end user variables.

All in all it has been two steps back one and one half forward.
B921557E-A66B-4544-86D8-CF1E08730A7C.jpeg
I decided to enjoy the summer sun on my Buell to keep my pushrod V love alive through the headaches that building high horsepower high compression sbc can bring.
A2867E1E-3CBA-4FD8-AD4B-ACC585AFDBF4.jpeg

Peck

Veteran Member
Mar 20, 2018
Tacoma,WA
So a quick update, I spent all winter chasing what seemed to be valvetrain noise, after replacing all valvetrain parts the noise still persisted.

At this point I decided to pull the engine and rip it apart, only one - two hours of run time total, everything is fine, until you get to the bottom end... every bearing is completely shot. The builder I purchased the short block turned the rod ends and the crank down but put standard bearings in it. The bottom end is done game over do not pass go do not collect two hundred dollars.

So it has been decided I am building a 6” rod 406 to replace it, so it’s time to sell my s10 and finish the Camaro, again...

If racecars were easy everyone would have one.