My Project

Plant Engineer

Veteran Member
May 17, 2017
Fort Mill SC
Got the drivers side spring cut yesterday. Looks like I'm at about 1 inch of upwards travel now. Still need more but I want to let it sit for a while and maybe get a little drive time before I go whacking coils any more.

I got the flexplate installed the other day and buttoned up. Didnt pull anything other than a few bolts to do it . Never thought that possible. Even the driveshaft and exhaust were left in place. New powermaster starter is coming in today so I should be able to fire it up and try to get the fuel injection tuned. No idea where the timing is with the crank trigger. Had it started a few weeks back but it didnt run long enough to get any tuning done. Good thing about this stuff is that if I run out of parts for whatever I'm doing I have plenty of other things to do while waiting. I hate long drawn out projects that don't move forward.

Plant Engineer

Veteran Member
May 17, 2017
Fort Mill SC
Installed the new powermaster starter ( NICE ) and fired the old beast up with the fuel injection. I think I'll have to cut the old cap up and get a new one to properly index the rotor but I got the idle settled in at 850 with around 18 inches of vacuum which quite frankly shocks the hell out of me. I thought it would be a lot less with that cam.

Plant Engineer

Veteran Member
May 17, 2017
Fort Mill SC
So, an engineer builds a Camaro...

The fuel system .

12 gallon fuel cell in back-8AN front and back passing through a NAPA gas station fuel line filter into a no poo mechanical fuel pump. Theyre cheap, reliable as hell and a 454 Holley/Summit pump will flow 110 GPH which rivals all but the best electric pumps. That fuel runs through a 30 micron strainer into a surge tank with a Bosch 044 mounted inside the 1 liter tank . Pressurized fuel runs to the injection system where the return line runs back to the surge tank. The return line runs from the surge tank back to the fuel tank. The surge tank remains at zero pressure and 110 GPH. Pump output slows at low fuel draw times like idle while the pressure remains the same. The pump drops speed with a combination of voltage reduction and Pulse Width Modulation.

XZ4hhQ.jpg

QIpTP7.jpg

Plant Engineer

Veteran Member
May 17, 2017
Fort Mill SC
I spent some time tuning the EFI setup over the weekend and did a little bit of driving it too. Not too much because I dont have any seatbelts and dont really feel like getting a ticket in the cop magnet. I also reset the valves. Its never really run like I thought it should and always seemed to be missing somewhere. Ran the valve clearance out to zero lash and all of the sudden its running great.

XU9U8T.jpg

Plant Engineer

Veteran Member
May 17, 2017
Fort Mill SC
Took it out for a drive to the gas station. I can pass anything but gas stations. Ran well if not a bit on the loud side. I'm always really pleased when a transmission I build actually works. That 1-2 shift under power just about pulled the front end. Getting close to starting actual bodywork. I pulled off the low spoiler and I'm going to put a factory decklid with a reproduction 3 piece "firebird spoiler".

AWaYA0.jpg

6TX6gg.jpg

UlXpOu.jpg

LdYlBJ.jpg

es8aAJ.jpg

Latest posts