mysterious dents showing up on front fenders?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Gavin Humes, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Gavin Humes

Gavin Humes New Member

wow thanks everyone for the input! sorry for the couple day delay! the fenders to the best of my knowledge are original and not repop, they have the same original color paint in some interior seems (so they are atleast as old as the color change), i did recently change the hood hinges from original to ringbrothers aluminum piston ones. however this was after i saw the ripples. so i dont know if would be related but who knows! it seems the consensus is human error from the allignment shop, i did not watch him perform the work but i have used him for years with only one incident in which he later corrected. if my memory serves me right i did a thurough look over the car after the allignment shop and did not see the dents in their parking lot. i noticed them after taking around an hour to hour and a half joy ride waiting for something else to break lol which led me to believe it was some sort of flexing problem. this past sunday i brought the car back into my garege and started checking all body mounts and fasteners etc. i found something that i think may be a contributing factor but im still not entirely sure.... there is a bracket in which the fenders bolt to the radiator support which is right by the front most body mount (picture below) there are 5 bolts here (2 that connect to the radiator support and 3 that connect the valencce panel to the fender). all of these were not even remotely tight, infact the bolts were the wrong thread compared to the 5/16 threaded retaining clip they were rammed into. so much so that there was probably .070 of play where you could actually spread the seem with a flathead screw driver. i removed the old hardware and replaced it with new. the passengers side was the loosest ( which is where the dents appeared) and the drivers side had 3 out of 5 bolts tight with no ripples developing on that side. all other bolts and mounts were tight but i do have one bolt that is missing that connects the inner fenders to the outer fender ( this is on both the passenger and drivers side picture below where my finger is pointing to where the bolt is missing) i also noticed a rippling on the inside of the fender (engine compartment side picture below) these ripples look like they are from the factory when the panels were manufactured/ stamped. they also line up pretty close to where the ripples on the outer fender are. ( i put masking tape on the outer fender for easier viewing of the new dents) maybe the fender is just weakly stamped, this combined with the loose mount and ridgid new subframe connectors and solid body mounts caused the dents to happen. or it could have been the alignment shop but i didnt notice it until later, only way to find out now is keep drving it and see if it gets worse! thanks again everyone!

Attached Files:

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The inner fender ripples are factory. Here’s my 70 Z28 with born with fenders.
    A00E25FE-AC26-41D7-A0CA-039E35624245.jpeg 943B12DB-DF62-4196-B454-2E0A61809B7D.jpeg

3. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

That's where mine came from. I worked them out when I did the paint and body work. You see that on almost all F-bodys.

4. mikess68

mikess68 been there and back

yep, fat ass creek side mo'canic don't take much

5. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

I put the same in mine. It's just something that happens even with a fender protector.

6. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

looked at all the pictures, I might be blind, but I still cant see dents. noticed you have aftermarket hood springs, is there any bind there? Ive seen hood springs put a LOT of pressure on that part of the fenders.

7. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I don’t see dents either so I must be blind too.

8. john Gialanella

john Gialanella Veteran Member

Maybe the fenders are not GM, but repro's from Taiwan. Plus you have a GODZILA suspension. ( I thought my 1970 SS 396 had a heavy duty suspension, but compared to yours it is nothing) Your Camaro must be bouncing up and down, while driving down the road. I am just guessing, but maybe all that smashing against the road causes damage to the fenders. Especially the solid frame mounts. I have polyurethane body mounts.
    John.

9. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

This is the most comical post of the year...Come on, your suspension is not denting fenders. The damage is caused by someone leaning over the fenders and its very common. The guy that did your alignment surely leaned over them to break the control arm nuts to install/remove shims. Almost everyone here has solid body bushings and subframe connectors.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    [email protected] likes this.
  10. Lou6t4gto

Lou6t4gto Veteran Member

I was a body man for 40 years. what you have was caused by "someone leaning over the fender to work on the alignment or the engine". Have it on my own car. fixed many of them like that. these fenders (mine were replaced with NEW GM 20 years ago) get these little shallow dents very easily and usually not really seen until you are washing the car. it is Not loose bushings, not mis aligned panels, it IS "someone leaning or sitting on it".