Mystery piece from '80 Tilt Column

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by drummingrocks, May 9, 2020.

1. drummingrocks

drummingrocks New Member

I bought an '80 Camaro tilt column recently and took it apart to paint it tan to match my interior. I have this one piece left over and have no idea where it goes. I've looked at the exploded column diagrams here, but I still can't see where it goes. Can anyone help?

[​IMG]

2. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Maybe #11 , looks like a spring of some sort, does it work, correctly with out it?

3. drummingrocks

drummingrocks New Member

That was my though too about it being #11. I don't have the column back in the car yet. Once I saw that piece, I was afraid to put everything back together until I knew where that went.

4. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Do you have the assembly manual ? The picture is way fuzzy , so a little hard to tell , hopefully someone that knows for sure will chime in, HAA HA

5. INSPECTOR57

INSPECTOR57 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That spring is item #14 on the diagram 'clip, ign warning buzzer switch'
    It holds the warning buzzer switch in place (item #15).

Gary

drummingrocks likes this.
  6. rburrow87

rburrow87 Veteran Member

Yep. Mine's missing so the buzzer would only sometimes buzz since the switch doesn't have that spring holding it in the right spot. Ended up taking the buzzer out though... kind of annoying compared to a dinger.

drummingrocks likes this.
  7. drummingrocks

drummingrocks New Member

I found some more info, maybe this will help someone in the future. First screenshot came from this Youtube video, around the 12:40 mark. The toughest part about the clip--it will come out the front of the column, but it will be very difficult to get it back in place without disassembling and removing the plastic collar that holds the ignition switch. It's much easier to get the clip back in place from the back side of the collar. If you're this far along, it's only a few more screws and the ignition switch, and the collar will come off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

dave@ztech likes this.
  8. Smiles 79

Smiles 79 Veteran Member

When I tore apart my column that part came loose on me too. "inside the GM Tilt Steering Column" be Jazzman really helped me out.