N90 Restoration? Am I on track?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by EricsZ28, Jun 11, 2012.

1. EricsZ28

EricsZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It's time to retire my 20+ year old BFG tires. So, I'm planning on refinishing my N90's before I swap tires. I've read several posts by Twisted Metal and others on the topic. I'm looking for a sanity check so I don't do something stupid.

My plan is to use a fine aggregate in my sand blaster and blast the old finish off the rims. I have a lot of tar and baked-on crud on the inside (back) of the rims as well. Then, I'm hoping to polish the machined surfaces, and then paint / clear coat the originally painted surfaces (after masking the machined surfaces off).

My concern is over blasting the machined surfaces. Will this do more damage than good?

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

You will lose the orginal lathe marks on the turned edges when you blast them.
    The ridges got cut off when I did mine with by hand with steel wool.
    Those tiny ridges are quite delicate.

Soda blasting will remove the original powder coat finish and preserve the machined surface but it's a slower process than a fine abrasive media.

Unless it's on a lift, you never see the inside portion of these wheels.
    A chemical cleaner (solvent) would be better for cleaning tar etc. from the inside.

If you want them to look perfect for a long time... A professional restoration with powdercoating is the way to go.

I only did two of them by hand and got tired of the process. :screwup:

(I still have 14" N90s on the front so I only refinished two of the 15" ones I have. I keep telling myself... some day I'll have all four professionally restored and go with 15s all around.)

A lot depends on your expectations.
    Doing them by hand is a lot of work and they can turn out very nice looking but the machined edges won't have that factory freshy cut and sheen to them.

3. ratpatrol71z28

ratpatrol71z28 Veteran Member

Can I see a picture of a N90 ? I'm not too familiar with their name? I'm sure I have seen them...

4. wayback

wayback Veteran Member

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  5. EricsZ28

I would be happy if my N90's turned out like yours, Twisted.

I read the above links again, and I think I may give walnut shells a try in an inconspicuous area. I don't mind if I lose some of the lathe marks. I just want the rims clean, polished, and fresh. Right now, they look like 30+ years of nastiness.

6. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

:p :p :p

7. EricsZ28

It's all your fault :crazy:

Perhaps this is also a good time to install the link lock that is sitting on my workbench - just for one final goodbye to the BFG's. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  8. Fbodywarehouse

Fbodywarehouse Veteran Member NastyZ28 Sponsor Lifetime Gold Member

We can remachine them with a powder baked clear coat and retain the CnC machining marks for a true showroom quality refinishing and have this service with new lug nuts and center caps on sale this week (through June 16) for $650 which includes all shipping costs