Lieutenant Columbo's dream car!
EC7BFEF4-6B2F-4F6A-92D6-2632327FBE34.jpeg

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
This has been an awesome thread.

My 1980 Chev Citation had a 2.5 liter 4 cyl. About the same horsepower too.

Da-bigguy

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jan 19, 2010
Cypress, TX

My 1980 Chev Citation had a 2.5 liter 4 cyl. About the same horsepower too.
What body style of Citation did you have, the hatchback or the notchback two door? My dad bought a bone-stock 4cyl 80 notchback in late 79 with standard transmission and no radio! It was the cheapest car on the lot I'm sure as that was his way of buying cars, get the cheapest one they had on the lot and drive it away that day. I drove the snot out of that car for years. What amazed me the most when I finally got rid of it in the mid to late 90s, it still had its ORIGINAL windshield in it, no cracks at all! It did have some small chips where rocks had hit it and if you looked closely enough, you could see small marks on the glass where rocks had hit it but not hard enough to actually knock a piece out or make a crack. For a car driven daily in Calgary, that was phenomenal!!

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada

My 1980 Chev Citation had a 2.5 liter 4 cyl. About the same hors
What body style of Citation did you have, the hatchback or the notchback two door? My dad bought a bone-stock 4cyl 80 notchback in late 79 with standard transmission and no radio! It was the cheapest car on the lot I'm sure as that was his way of buying cars, get the cheapest one they had on the lot and drive it away that day. I drove the snot out of that car for years. What amazed me the most when I finally got rid of it in the mid to late 90s, it still had its ORIGINAL windshield in it, no cracks at all! It did have some small chips where rocks had hit it and if you looked closely enough, you could see small marks on the glass where rocks had hit it but not hard enough to actually knock a piece out or make a crack. For a car driven daily in Calgary, that was phenomenal!!
Yessir, notchback with trunk. I had the vertically mounted am radio, but added my own Panasonic with cassette deck. The whole car was bulletproof. Mine was 3 speed auto.
I was driving home from college and almost crashed because I hit some sort of varmint on the road and because there wasnt much floor left, whatever it was hit under the carpet on the drivers side and blinded me with what seemed like an IED of gravel, dust, smarties and whatever else was on my floor.

Da-bigguy

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jan 19, 2010
Cypress, TX

My 1980 Chev Citation had a 2.5 liter 4 cyl. About the same hors

Yessir, notchback with trunk. I had the vertically mounted am radio, but added my own Panasonic with cassette deck. The whole car was bulletproof. Mine was 3 speed auto.
I was driving home from college and almost crashed because I hit some sort of varmint on the road and because there wasnt much floor left, whatever it was hit under the carpet on the drivers side and blinded me with what seemed like an IED of gravel, dust, smarties and whatever else was on my floor.
I've given some thought to try and find another one to fix up and drive as I kind of liked the looks of the notchback. Agreed, the car was pretty bulletproof although we did have to have the clutch replaced three times until the dealership realized there was a valve or something installed the wrong way around somewhere after which no more problems! Being a punk teenager and young adult driving it for a number of years, I abused the snot out of it but it just kept on running!

tom3

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 1999
ohio
We priced a new Citation X11 when they first came out. Black, V6, manual, AC and decent radio. Tried to order but the coupe was not being made for some reason and that hatchback looked awful to me. Would probably still have it if we'd have bought one.

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
We priced a new Citation X11 when they first came out. Black, V6, manual, AC and decent radio. Tried to order but the coupe was not being made for some reason and that hatchback looked awful to me. Would probably still have it if we'd have bought one.
My cousin had a standard X11 with the 2.8. It was a fun car.

Da-bigguy

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jan 19, 2010
Cypress, TX
Ours definitely wasn't the X-11 but it was still fun to drive! I powershifted more than once and even started it with the trans in gear and my foot off the clutch. Got the car rolling along quite well using the starter motor to turn it over!!! As I said, I abused the snot out of it and it just kept running!