Nanny systems

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by ol' grouch, Nov 25, 2018.

1. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

I generally drive old stuff. No car payments and I can fix it up like I want. However, I just got back from another 2000 mile trip. Rather than use my Cadillac that gets 13 mpg, with a tail wind, I rented a Nissan Altima. Not a bad little car and it gets great fuel mileage. I got nearly 39 mpg down and back except for around Nashville. Unlike the Kia I rented last time, the seats didn't feel like they were made from bricks.

Alas, it has all the nanny systems the car makers are adding. Backup camera that I never looked at as I was looking around myself backing up. Blind spot warning lights. Anytime someone was near me, a light would light up. Try to change lanes and it would blonk fast and beep. Try to slide in behind another car in congested traffic and not only did it beep in an insulting manner, the steering wheel would shake. Automatic braking too. We stayed in a beach front condo in Florida and to leave, you drive up to the gate and let it open. Fine. Except the car would STOP before I got over the darned sensor. Fortunately, the owners manual was still in it and I found out how to reduce the sensitivity. Every single time I'd go to get in it, I'd pull the fob out. No key, just push on the brake and push a button. No getting out while it's in drive either. You have to stop, put it in park and release the brake pedal.

I don't know what worries me more. The manufacturers putting these on a car or people still managing to hurt themselves with all these "safety" features and what will be next.

2. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

I’m with you man. I’ll be cold and dead before I let a car do my braking for me.
    I also don’t care for the “keyless” starting feature. Most cars with it have a spot you can place the fob putting it very very close to the sensor for “emergency” ie dead battery but I doubt most people know it.

3. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

you old guys should stick with your old cars

seems every post is complaining about something

4. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

don't worry mav...they will soon forget they posted anything.. ;)

tom3 and 351maverick like this.
  5. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Huh?...what?! .............LOL, forget what?

6. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

All that nanny crap on the new cars distracts the drivers so much that they can't drive the car safely anymore.

Dave Nelson and gramps like this.
  7. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

This ^. If the heated seat is on in our Ford Edge, you have to exit the radio screen and go to climate control to adjust. While not overly difficult it’s certainly taking your eyes and concentration off the road for much longer than needed. Or sit and roast your ass.

The traction control systems are annoying too on most newer cars. More of a hindrance than anything.

8. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I just received a newer company truck, a Nissan 2019 Frontier, and on the older models that I've had (2014 and 2016)I could answer the phone with a button on the steering wheel and never have to look away from the road. On this new truck they have a touch screen on the face of the radio that pops up two boxes, accept or decline that you have to reach over and select. Not sure what's up with that because the button to answer or hangup is still on the steering wheel but it doesn't seem to do anything.

9. ol' grouch

Yeah, somehow the car tried to use my phone to call someone. Since I don't have blueteeth, I brush them, or bluetooth, it was just annoying.

10. ol' grouch

You young pups have it easy. Why, when I was in school, I had to walk three miles to school, up hil, both ways. Often with 6 inches of snow, even ion the summer.

Smokey15 and [email protected] like this.