Nanny systems

RS1979

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
Memphis, TN
I had a wreck about a year ago and got a 2018 Ford F150 as a rental until I got my truck back. The first time I came to a red light the engine died. I couldn't believe that a new vehicle would die at a stop. Come to find out those trucks have a system that cuts the engine off while sitting at a red light. The purpose is to save fuel.

Dentguy

Veteran Member
Jun 24, 2018
Butler, Pa
This ^. If the heated seat is on in our Ford Edge, you have to exit the radio screen and go to climate control to adjust. While not overly difficult it’s certainly taking your eyes and concentration off the road for much longer than needed. Or sit and roast your ass.

The traction control systems are annoying too on most newer cars. More of a hindrance than anything.
Agree with traction control, my son’s trailblazers stabilitrac will decide it wants to go in limp mode right after you want to merge into traffic and cars are crawling up your hind end.... that’s really safe when you can’t accelerate !!!!

xten

Veteran Member
Sep 24, 2014
Pittsburgh, Pa.
I had a wreck about a year ago and got a 2018 Ford F150 as a rental until I got my truck back. The first time I came to a red light the engine died. I couldn't believe that a new vehicle would die at a stop. Come to find out those trucks have a system that cuts the engine off while sitting at a red light. The purpose is to save fuel.
Yep. What would you rather do, spend a couple pennies in gas, or replace starters? I was beside one in gridlock. I'll bet it shut off 15 times while I was near him. What's worse, the disease or the cure.

xten

Veteran Member
Sep 24, 2014
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Agree with traction control, my son’s trailblazers stabilitrac will decide it wants to go in limp mode right after you want to merge into traffic and cars are crawling up your hind end.... that’s really safe when you can’t accelerate !!!!
We have hills. Lots of them. In the snow in our Honda if you leave the TC on and try to get a run at a hill, good luck. Soon as a tire spins, won't let you get going enough. I have to turn it off to get up Kid's driveway if there's leaves on it.

BonzoHansen

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 1, 2005
Scott from Hamilton, NJ
I will agree some cars have UI issues and get menu happy. And start/stop is annoying, thank CAFE standards for that. I don’t think car makers want them either. But idling drinks a lot of fuel at 0 MPG.

B/U cameras serve an actual purpose. The problem if young kids are too close to the car they are in a blind spot and are invisible to the driver no matter how well you look back. It’s worse in SUVs. They can be in a blind spot if they are 5’ behind the vehicle. Unless you have superman x-ray vision that sees through metal.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-technology/8-things-you-need-to-know-about-back-up-cameras.html

I like blind spot warning. Our Santa Fe has them. I think it works great. I have no problem warning people there is a car in their blind spot. You know, because blind spot and all. You might be able to disable or alter the alerts via the menu if you are too cool for such warnings.

And blind spots have gotten worse in the last few years in newer cars because of crash standards. Higher belt lines, thicker pillars, all that stuff.

Oh the complaining by folks who never do anything wrong ever, not even once. lol

you old guys should stick with your old cars

seems every post is complaining about something

images(154).jpg

Chevrolaine

Veteran Member
B/U cameras serve an actual purpose. The problem if young kids are too close to the car they are in a blind spot and are invisible to the driver no matter how well you look back. It’s worse in SUVs. They can be in a blind spot if they are 5’ behind the vehicle. Unless you have superman x-ray vision that sees through metal.
Our 18 Acadia Denali has a birds eye view camera that is the cats ass. Can see all the way around the vehicle right up to the vehicle. Most people freak when they see it and ask how it works - naturally I tell them it comes with it's own drone that hovers overhead all the time..lol

In actuality it has 4 camera's around the car.. It's awesome.
http://www.holidayautomotive.com/blog/how-chevy-surround-vision-works/

Also has the cruise control speed adjust where it slows and maintains speed if you come up on slower traffic - love it also and it works down to zero mph. The problem is if someone actually lets the car do that and the car in front of you slows to a stop, then takes off, the car will resume cruise and speed up to the set mph. Not good if you're not covering the break!

The lane change sensor is kind of unnerving in snow/slush also. It'll actually start steering itself back into your lane suddenly which is never good in slick conditions.

All of the features work great but take some getting used to. They can also all be turned off if you'd rather not deal with them.

Knuckle Dragger

Mayor of Simpleton
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 2, 2002
Waddell AZ
Our 18 Acadia Denali has a birds eye view camera that is the cats ass. Can see all the way around the vehicle right up to the vehicle. Most people freak when they see it and ask how it works - naturally I tell them it comes with it's own drone that hovers overhead all the time..lol

In actuality it has 4 camera's around the car.. It's awesome.
http://www.holidayautomotive.com/blog/how-chevy-surround-vision-works/

Also has the cruise control speed adjust where it slows and maintains speed if you come up on slower traffic - love it also and it works down to zero mph. The problem is if someone actually lets the car do that and the car in front of you slows to a stop, then takes off, the car will resume cruise and speed up to the set mph. Not good if you're not covering the break!

The lane change sensor is kind of unnerving in snow/slush also. It'll actually start steering itself back into your lane suddenly which is never good in slick conditions.

All of the features work great but take some getting used to. They can also all be turned off if you'd rather not deal with them.

Grumpy people are gonna grump, sad fact. :(

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
The wifes Enclave has a bunch of crap on it too..... I think its funny talking to her on the phone...i hear "DING.....DING..DING.DING"....the lane change notice (whatever its called)...i can't help but laugh..
whenever I drive it... step 1 adjust seat, mirrors.....turn OFF ALL THE SENSORS!!! all the bells, all the damm lights, the crash avoidance lights, the INFO screen...blah blah blah...
turn on the radio (to mute "other" unwanted sounds ... or words)...DRIVE.