NASTY Z Horticultural Dept.

berg2695

Veteran Member
Nov 13, 2011
Here's a cool looking perennial for gearheads. It's called 'SPEEDWELL'.
20210623_112217.jpg

gramps

Veteran Member
Jul 5, 2009
mankato, mn
Hey maybe somebody will know the answer to this....we have 3 hydrangeas, 2 were here when we bought the house the 3rd we planted. Where the previous owner dug something out they wanted to take with them. Anyway, the 2 that were here bloomed huge the 1st summer, the one I planted bloomed the following year and for the last 4 years none of them have had a single flower.
Any thoughts on why?

Fbird

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 12, 2011
atlanta, ga
can tell you don't have deer around you.....my wife learned after about 2 yrs....quit spending money on deer food!...

BLUE72CAMARO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 15, 2004
Bunker Hill, IL
Hey maybe somebody will know the answer to this....we have 3 hydrangeas, 2 were here when we bought the house the 3rd we planted. Where the previous owner dug something out they wanted to take with them. Anyway, the 2 that were here bloomed huge the 1st summer, the one I planted bloomed the following year and for the last 4 years none of them have had a single flower.
Any thoughts on why?

Have you been cutting them off in the fall? I am pretty sure I read something about the stalks lasting a couple years and if you cut them all off you wont have any that bloom the following year. I will see if I can find anything on it or if my memory is playing games with me.

Here you go looks like it depends on what type it is as well as when and if they can be pruned.
https://www.gardendesign.com/hydrangea/pruning.html

8pack

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 29, 2007
Western, MA
Any thoughts on why?

There are different types of Hrdrangea. I am going to assume you have the kind you don’t cut back to the ground every year.

Before spring, say late feb, make sure you dead head them and take all the old flowers of. Just clip them right below the flower.

The pant will look like all the stems/branches are dead as they look all dried out and woody. Leave them be! New growth pushes out on them.

Fertilize in early spring with a blooming flower fertilizer. I use an Ortho product but anything for blooming plants is good. Fertilize again In 4 weeks and then every six weeks after growth starts.

As the weather warms up keep them watered. If the leaves start turning yellow that is too much water. People often think it is too little water but it is the opposite. If they need more water Yiu can tell as the leaves start to droop and wither. They will bounce back if you get on it right away.

Heavy mulch around them in early spring to retain heat and water so they get off to a strong start.

If they don’t bloom after those things you need to do a deep dive google search or call a nursery.

As an aside the PH of the soil determines the color on many varieties. More acidic soil results in pink to purple flowers. More basic paler pink to white flowers. Not all varieties work that way but most of what people plant do.

Good luck!

gramps

Veteran Member
Jul 5, 2009
mankato, mn
There are different types of Hrdrangea. I am going to assume you have the kind you don’t cut back to the ground every year.

Before spring, say late feb, make sure you dead head them and take all the old flowers of. Just clip them right below the flower.

The pant will look like all the stems/branches are dead as they look all dried out and woody. Leave them be! New growth pushes out on them.

Fertilize in early spring with a blooming flower fertilizer. I use an Ortho product but anything for blooming plants is good. Fertilize again In 4 weeks and then every six weeks after growth starts.

As the weather warms up keep them watered. If the leaves start turning yellow that is too much water. People often think it is too little water but it is the opposite. If they need more water Yiu can tell as the leaves start to droop and wither. They will bounce back if you get on it right away.

Heavy mulch around them in early spring to retain heat and water so they get off to a strong start.

If they don’t bloom after those things you need to do a deep dive google search or call a nursery.

As an aside the PH of the soil determines the color on many varieties. More acidic soil results in pink to purple flowers. More basic paler pink to white flowers. Not all varieties work that way but most of what people plant do.

Good luck!

thanks for the tips!
Although I’m at the point of just digging them out..... I let them go the first couple yeears, then tried heavy pruning...nothing seems to have worked. Have new shoots with lots of big leaves, and lots of big leaves on old wood. No flowers though.
Go figure I have pepper plants in the vegetable garden that are 4’ tall but I can’t get a simple established stupid flower to flower. Lol

Latest posts