NASTY Z Horticultural Dept.

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by berg2695, Jun 23, 2021.

1. berg2695

berg2695 Veteran Member

Here's a cool looking perennial for gearheads. It's called 'SPEEDWELL'. 20210623_112217.jpg

roadrace2, Zstar and 1978 Z/28 like this.
  2. 1978 Z/28

1978 Z/28 Veteran Member Gold Member

They look a lot like lupins which grow wild in New Brunswick
    lupins.jpg

3. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Cool...I have these in my yard as well...just never knew the name.

4. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

and heres one to slow things down a little
    upload_2021-6-27_11-0-38.jpeg

Revin, carhead22000 and 1972_Z-28 like this.
  5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Here's one corner of my yard in mid-summer, not this year yet as the plants aren't up to that stage. Another month and it should look like that again.
    IMG_0630.JPG

xten, Coadster32, Dave Nelson and 5 others like this.
  6. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Hey maybe somebody will know the answer to this....we have 3 hydrangeas, 2 were here when we bought the house the 3rd we planted. Where the previous owner dug something out they wanted to take with them. Anyway, the 2 that were here bloomed huge the 1st summer, the one I planted bloomed the following year and for the last 4 years none of them have had a single flower.
    Any thoughts on why?

7. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

can tell you don't have deer around you.....my wife learned after about 2 yrs....quit spending money on deer food!...

8. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Have you been cutting them off in the fall? I am pretty sure I read something about the stalks lasting a couple years and if you cut them all off you wont have any that bloom the following year. I will see if I can find anything on it or if my memory is playing games with me.

Here you go looks like it depends on what type it is as well as when and if they can be pruned.
    https://www.gardendesign.com/hydrangea/pruning.html

9. 8pack

8pack Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

There are different types of Hrdrangea. I am going to assume you have the kind you don’t cut back to the ground every year.

Before spring, say late feb, make sure you dead head them and take all the old flowers of. Just clip them right below the flower.

The pant will look like all the stems/branches are dead as they look all dried out and woody. Leave them be! New growth pushes out on them.

Fertilize in early spring with a blooming flower fertilizer. I use an Ortho product but anything for blooming plants is good. Fertilize again In 4 weeks and then every six weeks after growth starts.

As the weather warms up keep them watered. If the leaves start turning yellow that is too much water. People often think it is too little water but it is the opposite. If they need more water Yiu can tell as the leaves start to droop and wither. They will bounce back if you get on it right away.

Heavy mulch around them in early spring to retain heat and water so they get off to a strong start.

If they don’t bloom after those things you need to do a deep dive google search or call a nursery.

As an aside the PH of the soil determines the color on many varieties. More acidic soil results in pink to purple flowers. More basic paler pink to white flowers. Not all varieties work that way but most of what people plant do.

Good luck!

10. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

thanks for the tips!
    Although I’m at the point of just digging them out..... I let them go the first couple yeears, then tried heavy pruning...nothing seems to have worked. Have new shoots with lots of big leaves, and lots of big leaves on old wood. No flowers though.
    Go figure I have pepper plants in the vegetable garden that are 4’ tall but I can’t get a simple established stupid flower to flower. Lol