Natural Gas Spike

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by HurtHorseZ28, Sep 22, 2013.

1. HurtHorseZ28

HurtHorseZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I opened my gas bill the other day and saw that my usage went way up.:eek: Went from 11ccf last month to 252ccf.

I called the gas company and they said that on one day, August 29th, my usage spiked at 240ccf for just that one day. Just a normal day, nothing out of the ordinary.

Obviously something isn't right and they're opening up an investigation. I'm just wondering if anyone here has had something similar happen? Right now the gas is off to the boiler because it's summer and the only other appliance that uses natural gas is my hot water heater and it's working correctly. No gas odors or anything.

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

It sounds to me like they have electronic monitoring somewhere on your system. Electronics will fail to function correctly when connected to a computer, and they probably aren't smart enough to figure that out.

3. ATM

ATM Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

It is also not unheard of for them to walk right on by, not read the meter, and "estimate" for several months. I got like a $2000 bill once from them and had to go on a payment plan to pay it all back, my brother got a $2500 bill from them about a year before it happened to me...

4. Bikefixr

Bikefixr Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Same here. When I had my bike shop I got a bill for almost $3K one day. Seems they "estimated" my bill....for 8 YEARS. Now, on our bills they have to make a notation if the meter was actually read or estimated. They always checked "actually read". I contested it, and what a mess this started. Seems the gas meter was in an outdoor closet, locked. I never had a key. The key was in possession of the old meter reader, who retired ( you guessed it) 8 years prior. New meter reader never had the key...so he never actually read the meter. While they had the volume of gas used pretty accurate (they had 15yrs of records to base this on), over all that time even a 10% miss really adds up. Based upon some obscure rules in the State regs...I was not responsible for the entire amount, so we negotiated it down to $1500 over time or $1100 in a 1-shot payment. I took that option. That got me thinking about the electric. I had energy-efficient lights, 1 small compressor and an AC unit, but bill was always about $250 a month. So I started an investigation into that, too. Engineer came out, turned EVRYTHING on and read the draw. Seems no way I could use that much electric even running the whole shop 24/7. So we disconnected the box....and within a day the shop in the back of the building and the restaurant next door all called. He was half-dead, the shop was totally dead. Seems over the years they spliced into and rerouted MY panel circuits into their spaces...so I was paying their electric for years. Made the landlord fix all that, and then I sued each of them for the theft because they were trying to play stupid. I ended up getting enough to cover the gas bill payment and a few hundred more. What a can of worms. So see what your rights are and exercise them. You may be able to negotiate a deal. You may be able to have them pay for an independent engineer to eval the issue. They can calculate accurately how much your consumption should be.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  5. 69LM1

69LM1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Happened to several of us in the neighborhood for water issues. Spiked bill for a single week. No leaks and we had to pay the inflated bills.

"Problem" has not returned but we are watching.

RichP

6. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

I kept getting water bills that were estimated. I use about 1,000 gallons a month. Sometimes it reads zero thousands. They said my meter was electroncally read. 6 months later they called and were going to shut my water off for a couple of hours while they installed the electronic reader system. At least I'm not getting three months of no usage followed by huge bills.

7. rwild1967

rwild1967 Veteran Member

Here's another one for you. Behind my building, by the gas meters (there are several right next to each other for the shopping center) I can smell gas. My detector (appliance repair guy remember) can smell gas as well. The gas company people can't smell it, nor can they detect it. I suspect it is leaking from an underground section of pipe because I can't localize it to a specific place on any of the meters but no one at the gas company listens to me.

Any ideas on who to report this to?

8. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

The thought of losing that amount of gas in one day would be unsettling to say the least.